Sticky Traps

jeller3677June 14, 2013

I brought some apple grafts in the basement for some TLC under lights and was surprised to see that these little flies were emerging from the pots. I took the apples back outside, and put some sticky traps by my violet trays. Within a day, all the little flies were caught in the glue. Just an idea in case anyone else has trouble with those little flies.
Jon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hmm... I wish it was that easy... your fungus gnats left a lot of eggs behind in your pots...

Next time try not to bring anything from outside to your growing area...

The bugs emerge - to mate and lay eggs - and yes - they are caught easily on any kind of fly paper...Probably after they had some hanky-panky ...and left several clutches of eggs...

I sure had a good success getting them down with a fly paper last year...until my cat got himself wrapped in this thing..hard to remove this sticky stuff...

i.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:14PM
ultra_violet

Where do you get this kind of sticky trap that is boxed shape? I've always used flat yellow sticky cards and they don't seem to catch very many gnats. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for more buggers, but if they exist I want to get as many of them as possible!

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:11PM
ultra_violet

@Jon: this thread got buried...may I ask where you find the kind of box shaped sticky trap you use here? I'm glad they worked for your fungus gnat visitors.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™