Baronne Henriette de Snoy- Opening!!!

zjw727(Coastal Oregon Zone 8b)June 17, 2014

I can't believe it- two buds actually opened, without a hint of balling! Last summer that only happened ONCE. I consider this to be a miracle in my damp, cool climate. BHS has too many petals, and the buds are SO tightly packed. It's supposed to be strongly scented, but to ME it's one of those teas that has hardly any noticeable scent. Lovely, subtle color though, and elegant flower form. The other teas that I grow are never troubled with balling issues: Lady Hillingdon, Westside Road Cream Tea (which had flowers open during a 4 day rain last summer).

On another note, BHS must be quite hardy- we did NOT have the brutal winter weather here that the rest of the country had, but we did get two cycles of cold weather with night-time temps in the teens (VERY cold for here). BHS came through like a champ, with hardly any cane damage. Impressive, considering that I lost 3 roses, and several others had severe die-back.

Also, this is one VIGOROUS rose- it has tripled in size during the last year, and even grew during winter. Wow!

Zachary.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sadie_pnw

hi, Zach,
My roses haven't balled this summer, either. My one Devoniensis bloom opened without a problem and Pretty Jessica, which a l w a y s balls, opened beautifully. I think they call it sunshine. It's been a great summer so far!

Congratulations on your tea rose; it is beautiful. How is the fragrance?

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:04PM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

This is one big fat gorgeous rose. However, it took so long to open here it inevitably rained on the blossoms last year.
I grow it in a pot on fortuniana rootstock and lost 1/2 of it to the extreme winter.
I will likely order it again and place it in a drier hotter spot.
Lovely.
Susan

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:13PM
Mas_Loves_Roses(6a)

Hi Zach,

That is a very pretty bloom! I wish I could grow teas in the grown. I grow a few in pots that overwinter in the garage. Is she fragrant?

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:27PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Zachary, a tea not a tease! Lovely bloom! I have never boldly attempted a Baronne Henriette in my PNW garden but wish I had! I currently grow Duchesse de Brabant and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux and both are persevering. They don't shake off the wet like my other OGRs, but they aren't bad either. I am comforted by the fact that you and Harborrose both grow teas in our climate. Maybe I'm not crazy after all. Carol

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:18AM
sadie_pnw

Carol,
I think that once a person has grown a tea rose in the south, that longing to see that languid loveliness leaveth not. That's my spin on tea roses in the PNW, and I am sticking with it!

Old plonk of some tea roses with Mrs. Oakley Fisher and Cramoisi Superieur

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:05AM
zjw727(Coastal Oregon Zone 8b)

Another view of Henriette Snoy

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:22PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Henriette is a beauty, no doubt about it!

Kate

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 4:19PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Harborrose: "the languid loveliness leaveth not." Your poetry sums it up. :-) Carol

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:45PM

I don't want to go on and on about this, but I'm still in state of excitement. The already opening flowers are now fully open, and other buds are following suit. What a treat! I never thought I could grow tea roses here, and any lit bit of success is pure delight.

The scent seems more pronounced than before, but it's not "intense". It's a light fresh tea scent.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:13PM

Fully open...

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:15PM
mantolo

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:22PM
bluegirl_gw

What a beautiful bloom! And it's huge!

(and I love the alliteration of: ".... that longing to see that languid loveliness leaveth not." ;-)

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:38AM
comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

Ooh Zachary, isn't she lovely! I was hoping you would post some follow-up pics. I think of that colour as 'ballet pink' - like satin ballet shoes. No wonder you are excited, how wonderful to have a success at last. Maybe all this growing she's been doing indicates her roots are really well-established now and she will go better from now on? Well. I'm just guessing... Any chance of showing us the whole or part of the shrub with all those opening/opened blooms? I do like to see the overall effect of blooms, foliage and habit - for better or worse.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 5:54AM
floridarosez9

Ooooh, I think I need her. What a beauty.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
William R. Smith
Does anyone know how this compares to Maman Cochet...
titian1 10b
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
HRG SEMINAR! May 2, San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
How Drought Tolerant Is Darlow's Enigma?
A couple of years ago, the phone company swooped in...
plectrudis (Zone 8b Central TX)
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™