I think I have bugs...

bunnygurl(Z3)June 10, 2009

I know it's hard to see in the picture 'cause it was hard to see when it was right in front of my face, but I think my AV has pests, but I can't tell what they are. They're black, about twice the size of a spidermite, they cling to my AV like scale, but they have the body shape of an aphid. Anyone have any idea what these might be and how to get rid of them? They came on so quickly that I originally thought it was just dirt spilt all over my AV. When I went to whipe it off with my fingers...eeeeew. They squished and smeared and it was gross.

Help, please and thank you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

BunnyGirl -

If they look like aphids they probably are. Aphids can be green, brown, pale, dark, almost black...

It is not that hard to get rid of them besides squishing, I would try Safer Soap, anything with neem oil -(Shultz spray 3 in 1), 1/3 rubbing alcohol per 2/3 of water - spray, just use hot water to dilute.

I heard a tobacco sun tea tea advice - but there an issue with tobacco mosaic virus. I presume if you boil 3 cigarettes in a pint of water, add 1/4 spoon of a dish soap - it will work . You can get lice shampoo in a pharmacy -and use it too - I would guess 1/4 of a teaspooon per pint will work too.

You can spray it with Hennessy - and it will be as efficient.

Soap suffocates them - and alcohol dehydrates them

Good luck

irina

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 3:11PM
bunnygurl(Z3)

Thanks so much for your help. I'll start the eradication in the morning.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 4:32AM
ines_99

Aphids are one of the easiest bugs to get rid of. I swear by Safer Insecticidal soap. It's cheap, safe, and works great

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Edge Of Darkness (Lyndon Lyon)
does anyone else have this plant? i got a leaf start...
suyoder
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Followed Me Home ID?
This is more red/fuschia in real life. Red Reverse,...
lucky123
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™