Starting leaf of Harmony's Little Stinker?

quinnfyre(z7 PA)June 23, 2009

Anyone know what you get if you get plantlets from a leaf of Harmony's Little Stinker? I just got it, but it arrived with a leaf broken off. Obviously, I have nothing to lose by giving it a try, but I was wondering if anyone had already done it, and what the results were.

For the people that aren't familiar with it, Harmony's Little Stinker is a leaf chimera, which means it would need to be propagated by sucker in order to produce another one with the same markings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

HI,
I m guessing that as long as you have a leaf of the plant on the sucker it should be ok.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 2:40PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant I got a starter plant of Harmony's Little Stinker, with a leaf broken off. I plan on starting that leaf like any other violet. I was just wondering if anyone had already done this, and what they got. I don't know what Harmony's Little Stinker was a sport of to begin with.

I also started leaves of Rebel's Astro Spinner a while back, and now I've got one good sized plantlet. I can't wait to see it bloom, to see the result of that experiment.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 4:24PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Quinn -

Harmony's Little Stinker is a sport of Anthoflores (do not know which) - so you return back to mama with your plantlets from this leaf. I had 2 suckers, both with a leaf stripe - and one turned back to the prestripe form. Beautiful flowers - bicolor white center with stunning true blue. If you keep only named varieties - grow these guys just for gifts. They bloom abundantly and hold the blossoms forever.

Rebel's Astro Spinner is a sport of Rebel's Splatter Kake - if my memory works right today. The KAke is a stunner as is - so - keep us posted - what will your flowers turns to be.

Good Luck

Irina, never saw a violet that is not pretty.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 6:05PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Neat! I have some NOIDs, don't mind that they're NOIDs. They're great.

I've had Splatter Kake two or three times, and for some reason I keep losing them. But Astro Spinner's been vigorous and lovely. I mentioned before that I was going to start some Astro Spinner leaves in the hopes of getting Splatter Kake, and was told that I might get Splatter Kake or Night Breezes. We will see soon. My plantlet is quickly getting to blooming size.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™