Newbie here, and I think I made a rookie error and overwatered.

grace_m(NY)June 23, 2012

Now I have these shiny, plastic looking spots on the undersides of two leaves. We've had several days of almost 100 degree temps and really high humidity. That could also be a factor. Or am I totally wrong about the cause?

Any help would be really appreciated. Can this plant be saved or will the spots spread?

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of tops and bottoms of leaves if needed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
variegatednancy1

If you have over watered it, take it out of the pot and let it drain on newspaper then put it back.

Overwatering kills more plants than anything else.

It looks like the brown spots may have come from your hitting it accidentally. Overwatering most often causes the whole leaf to become a rotting brown mess that has to be removed.

Nancy

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:59AM
grace_m(NY)

Thank you Nancy. I didn't notice the spots until yesterday when it was time to water again, so the plantlet is already dry.

I feel bad that I damaged it, but at least being less of a klulz is easier than rescuing a plant from rot:)

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 4:28PM
aegis1000

African violets are tough little plants.

I've knocked a number out of their pots and to the ground with no significant damage to the plant other a broken leaf or two.

The only time I lost one, even to a fall, was when the entire plant broke off right below the crown.

Those little nicks and bumps essentially won't matter much, unless you plan to exhibit.

Keep up the good work with the disciplined watering. Your plant looks fine and healthy.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 12:02PM
grace_m(NY)

I was so afraid I overwatered it and it was a goner. Thank you both.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™