soil in oyama pot too wet?

violetta1976(8 Portland OR)July 27, 2007

I'm using the soiless wicking mix from avplanters.com in an oyama pot with perlite at the bottom... in short, I'm doing everything I thought I was supposed to. But the soil seems awfully wet, far wetter than I've ever let the soil get for my AVs before. I'm not sure what to think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Violetta -

I looked them up and they have 56% of peat moss in their mixture. What I like to have is 33% of peat for wicks and 25% for Oyamas. So if you add 50%-75% perlite - it will be better in my opinion. You can get by with what you have till the next repotting if you let your Oyamas dry a bit before rewatering and do not fill the underpot up to the highest limit.

Good luck

Irina

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 3:17PM
violetta1976(8 Portland OR)

Awesome, thanks Irina!

I have the same mixture in an oyama that I'm trying to grow a baby in from a leaf. Do you think that one will be okay? Or should I just scrap it and start over again with more perlite?

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 11:40AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Violetta -

you can easily rot the leaf in Oyama pot with heavy mix.
If your leaf is in this mix but in Solo cup - it possibly will be OK, just keep it just barely moist and covered. You can always prepare another Solo cup with a lighter mix and transfer your leaf. If it is already rooted - use a fork and accurately move leaf, roots with a bit of soil to a new pot.

There is more than one way to get you baby plants from a leaf - and whatever works for you is usually very much OK.
They are pretty tough little plants and they try to propagate in all conditions.

Good luck

irina

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
First blooms
My Fair Lady. Isn't she grand? :)
sueok_gw
Followed Me Home ID?
This is more red/fuschia in real life. Red Reverse,...
lucky123
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™