African Violet Terrarium

sarahsloanJuly 16, 2007

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I am planning a terrarium in which I would like to use AVs. Can anyone suggest a good companion plant that likes AV soil? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Almost any tropical plant fits well in a terrarium.

Don't put succulents or cacti since they need much less water than tropical plants and African violets.

I often use ground covers such as Baby Tears, all types of ferns, tall plants of draceana, all types of gesneriads, (such as episcia), ficus, fittonia, different types of hedra (ivy), Araliceae, many others.

Almost any tropical plant that uses the same watering as African violets would be good.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:34AM
fred_hill(6)

Hi Sarah,
AV's in a terrarium can be a disaster waiting to happen. They are prone to overwatering and rotting if it is kept too moist. At AV shows we generally have a display of contianer gardens and terrariums are part of it. Most people insert the AV into the terrarium the last minute so it still looks fresh. So if you do a terrarium, just make sure you chcek it often.
Fred i n NJ

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 11:31AM
ann1959(7)

I create terrariums often and I have had good luck with minis and semi-minis. Micro minis often require a terrarium to do well. I have had African violets in terrariums for almost a year without problems. I think drainage is necessary and using shells or rocks to create a small "pot" for the plant. Horticultural charcoal in the bottom for drainage is essential.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 9:10AM
marthaye(z7bSC)

I have seen ann1959,s terrariums. They are beautiful. I in fact have one that is now three years old. It looks great.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 6:35PM
jmcat(5)

I don't know whether they adversely affect each other, but I like English Ivy for terrs. You might try asking on the Terrariums Forum for more suggestions.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 5:57PM
paul_(z5 MI)

I have to disagree with you, Fred. I have always found AV's to do quite well in terrs -- and I've done it frequently. Some do too well in fact. [Check out my thread "looks like its time to find a new home"]

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 9:08AM
ann1959(7)

Rob's Voodoo Blue is very small and does well in a terrarium as does Tiny Moon Goddess. Rob's violet barn has miniature house plants that are great for terrariums. Have fun!!

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™