question about that pic!?!?!? and more....

countrykitty(zn 6 SW KY)July 21, 2007

Hi all,

OK, I'm new to AVs and I have questions, but the one that's driving me NUTS is about the picture here on the forums main page! Is it a couple dozen plants in a single tub? Is it multicrowned beyond belief? An import from some region of Russia (downwind of Chernobyl)? Or...(gasp)... steroids (and if so where do I get some)?!?!

While minis are awful cool (a whole collection on the shelf of a bakers rack by the window does have its appeals), I'm actually intrigued by the idea of an extra large plant. Is removing suckers really necessary or only done for showing aesthetics? I'm only growing for home enjoyment; would it actually be detrimental to the plant to allow it to grow extra crowns and then thin by removing the central crown?

Thanks for any input,

Kitty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Kitty,

I believe the picture on the front page is one of Rob's Trailers. It is a semi miniature trailer, I believe and can get very large. This one may be 2 years or more.

It is best to remove suckers unless you have a trailer because they take energy away from the main plant and they may cause the main plant's symmetry to be out of place. Symmetry has to do with making the leaves in a complete round circle or wheel-shaped. Remove suckers and plant them--a very quick way to reproduce your plant.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 11:26AM
bspofford

If you go to Rob's website and look at the 'trailers' page, you will see what may be the same picture with the man cropped out.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: the violet barn

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 3:38PM
countrykitty(zn 6 SW KY)

Thanks, y'all!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™