Photos and Questions

cajunkisses2007July 4, 2007

Hi all you AVG lovers. I have a few photos and questions for your expert opinions. Photos are clickable to get larger view.

First one is a noid I rescued from a girl that had it in a windowless dark room with only a shop light hanging above it. The crown on it is VERY tight and the leaves hard. I have it sitting in an east window now and finally see a few buds starting to peek through. Is there anything you suggest I can do for it?

Second, here is a pic of my first babies :D My question is, should I cut the mother leaf free now and leave them to grow in those pots (yogurt cups) or should I repot them on wicks? Is it too soon to repot or should I wait? Okay guess that was more than one question sorry LOL.

Thirdly, these are some tiny trailers a kind person sent me. They are growing now in small dixie cups. Do I repot them on a wick in a pot one size up now?

Ok that's it for this post. Sorry to get long winded. I'll post more in another one. :) Thanks for your tips and opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi CK,
!. Plants that have girl foliage like this always seem to be brittle. Depending on when it was last potted all I would do would be to groom it for symmetry and if it has been in the same pot for a year, its time to repot.

2. I like to wait till the babies get to be about 2-3 inches before I remove them from the leaf and then I put them into 3oz Solo bathroom cups with wicks till they get to a decent size.

3. I don't do trailers very welll but if I had them I would repot them into shallow pan pots.

Fred in NJ

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 9:39PM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

CK:

What you do with the trailers depends on whether they are mini, semi-mini or standards. I grow my standards in 4" pots. I use the Volkmann pots which are wider than tall. I also grow in the 5" Oyama Planters because they, too, are more shallow. I would not use a regular pot of more than 4". As Fred suggested, pan pots work well (or azalea pots). Do a search and you can buy them online.

I grow my mini and semi-minis in 2.5" or 3.5" Oyama Planters.

Linda ~ who only grows trailing AVs 'cos they don't take up as much room and leave her space for her other Gessies. :-D

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 2:04AM
cajunkisses2007

Thanks Fred!
The plant was just repotted a couple months ago when I first got it. It was sitting in a soggy wet ceramic pot, so I immediately repotted it. My concern really is the very tight crown.

I'll wait a while longer to repot my babies. :)

Thanks Linda!
I have repotted my 3 little semiminature trailers as you suggested in pot pans i'd purchaed online a month ago. Also put them on wicks. :)

Appreciate both of your comments and suggestions. :)

Belinda

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 1:43PM
hummersteve

CK

You have a nice crop babies going there , congrats! No need to be in a hurry to separate, wait till at least nickel size, then repot in 3oz. solo cups as Fred suggests. I wick mine from the getgo but to each their own.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 8:33PM
cajunkisses2007

Thanks Steve will do. All of my other plants are on wicks now. :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
First blooms
My Fair Lady. Isn't she grand? :)
sueok_gw
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™