Proper repotting?

tazdevyl1(z6 NJ)July 16, 2012

I have a few (4) AVs, which I wanted to repot, since 2 seems to have babies in there. One seems to think he is a tree, or at least that's my interpretation of it.

My question is what's the proper way of repotting, so I don't kill them. Do I use the same pots (which I don't think they've ever been out of. Do they like being rootbound, or should I try to find something to give them a little wiggle room?

From what Ive noticed, they seem to bloom once a year (if that) for me.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Already bought AV mix.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Taz - welcome -

please read FAQs at this forum. Read info on Rachelsreflections.org - it covers ALL the basics. Pay special attention - on the long neck care (that's your tree thingie).
You are right, yes, they should be slightly rootbound, if you have 4" pots the only thing you need to do - is wash and scrub them thouroughly after you pop the rootballs out - but the correct recommendation - size of the pot = 1/3 of the leaf span. The AV soil you can buy in a store will work if you add about 1/3-1/4 perlite to it. Otherwise it is too heavy on a peat side and the roots do not breath properly.

Good Luck, do your homework - means read these materials - you will enjoy doing it - really good stuff, explanations and pics - and come back with the questions.

Irina

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:50PM
tazdevyl1(z6 NJ)

Thank you! One question: Is it absolutely necessary to do the root hormone spray?

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 3:11PM
Taxonomist3

African violets root pretty readily without the use of hormone powders or sprays. However, I do find they root faster if given extra humidity.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 5:41PM
tazdevyl1(z6 NJ)

Thank you again. Humidity not an issue. Plenty of baggies around. lol

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™