Mushrooms?

frank325July 13, 2008

I had a new plant that I got at Walmart, but it got damaged so I cut off most of the leaves to try to grow some from cuttings and to "start over" the new plant. It's in a mixture of perlite and vermiculite. I just repotted it yesterday because I had it in a dixie cup, which, after a few weeks, was starting to look bad. So I put it in the plastic container it originally came in. Today I picked out 3 mushrooms that seemed to spring up out of nowhere. Only once before did I have a mushroom in there. What do I do about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
m3rma1d(inside)

it's prolly just spores that are in the mix... It wont harm anything.. but it can be an indication of too much moisture, so take it light on the watering.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 4:35PM
birdsnblooms

Frank, I agree with M3..Most likely, the soil is too wet. Is your AV getting adequate sunlight/light?
Mushrooms won't hurt a plant, but when one pops up it indicates soil needs amending, less water and/or more light.
If the AV was mine, I'd remove plant from soil, discard (soil), either use a new pot or clean the older pot thoroughly, and repot in a well-draining mix.
Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 5:11PM
frank325

i just repotted it yesterday, which is the weird part. I did just water it afterwards pretty thoroughly, so I'm sure that's part of the reason. It's off to dry for the next few days or, or however long until I water it again. I just thought it was odd how fast they sprouted. It's a few feet away from a southwest facing window, where I have the rest of my cuttings rooting.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™