Disbudding

mscynthia(8 - just N of Dallas TX)July 3, 2007

First, I've gone crazy the last few days and bought six AVs and a set of leaves off eBay. I bought Rob's Sunspot, Rob's Argyle Socks, Ness' Sheer Peach, Ness' Angel Babe, Orchard's Bumble Magnet, a standard called Marguerite and leaves of Mac's Magical Mandarin. Oooo, I swore I wasn't going to get hooked on the mini's and semi-mini's. So much for that.

So, my question is about disbudding. Some sellers say they disbud their AVs before shipping. If the plant has buds when it arrives, should I disbud them to make adjusting to their new home easier?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

Cynthia,

I would disbud them just to give them a little rest. They will have spent 2-3 days in a box and will be a little stressed anyway, so that will help them. It will also encourage a heavier bloom later anyway.

If you have a club in your area, JOIN. You'll meet a great group of people, and will probably be able to increase your collection for a lot less money by trading with members.

Watch out for OCAVD (obsessive compulsive african violet disorder), it is an epidemic.

Barbara

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 8:16PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi Cynthia,
I agree with Barbara, disbud the plants for their own good but only after you see what the bloom looks like and if it matches the description. If it does then I would strip it down, disbud and repot using my soil mix.
Fred in NJ (One of the epidemic leaders)

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 11:24PM
mscynthia(8 - just N of Dallas TX)

Thanks, Barbara and Fred. I've read a lot of your posts and really respect your knowledge.

As for OCAVD, it looks like it's too late for me to be saved. I'll look into a local AV society - which will, no doubt, make the OVAVD even worse. :)

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 11:51PM
bspofford

Fred, good point about verifying that the bloom is as described.

Cynthia, glad you will find a local club. It's so fun to take leaves and plantlets to the meetings, talk about a feeding frenzy! I now keep a box of baggies and a sharpie marker in my glove box so I don't forget them. I also take my list of 'haves' with me so as to not duplicate varieties. And the extent of experience of others is amazing.

Good luck.

Barbara

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 12:59PM
hummersteve

I have not fallen into the "OCAVD" just yet, I have been abstaining, but I am borderline. Its just a matter of time for me. For me its more the challenge of trying to save some from walmarts flooding hose.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™