Transplant shock

lauraeli_July 5, 2014

Sad AV here. Long story short, I damaged the root ball when I repotted it.

The plant is otherwise healthy. But the outer leaves are limp. It's been four or five days.

Would removing the limp outer leaves help it recover faster, or does it just need more time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nattydoll(7)

I have no idea, but that pot looks so small for a plant with such big leaves!

However, it looks awesome the way it is, drooped over the sides. It looks like some kind of heart.

Sorry :(

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:08PM
lauraeli_

...thanks?

It is a two-inch miniature. It's tiny. The pot is the right size.

If you ever get african violets, natty, the rule is that the pot should be a third of the size of the diameter of the plant.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:15PM
quimoi

Have you tried bagging it? That is assuming it's not soaking wet. (Then sit it on a paper towel)

Diana

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:44PM
cdnanon

aye, probably just needs more time (keep the leaves),
I agree bagging it would probably help alleviate some of the stress on it.

This post was edited by Anon-Cdn on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:00

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:58PM
Linda

Removing leaves from a plant that is in stress is counter-productive. Sort of like when they used to bleed sick people way back when.

I would bag it until it has had the chance to heal its root system and then gradually return it to its regular environment. It should perk up in a humidity filled spot as in a bag or a dome.

A note for Natty-the pot is the correct size. Violets grow best in a pot that is 1/3 the diameter of the leaves.

Linda

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 1:57AM
lauraeli_

This plant is not doing any better. When I checked on it today, there was a brown, rotted, moldy leaf hanging over the edge of the pot. I removed it, and there were worms/maggots under it. Root worms? I dont think this plant is going to recover. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:34PM
froeschli

First thing I'd do is disbud.
As for the bugs, they look too big for nematodes...
Have you considered chopping off the crown, and rooting it in a sterile potting medium?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:02PM
lauraeli_

Rerooting the crown is certainly an option. Though not my first choice.

I just looked it up- looks like they are fungus gnat larvae. I dont have a real problem of fungus gnats in my potted plants. Are they attracted to wet sphagnum, maybe?

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:17

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:09PM
lauraeli_

I am going to re root the crown. Here you can see where a hungry worm munched through half of the underside of the crown. It is clearly physical damage as opposed to rot. That's why the plant was not able to recover after the repot.

What should I do with it? Just stick it back in a pot of soil and bag it? Should I root it in perlite? Long fiber sphagnum? Im going to research it, but if anyone has any advice on what works for them, let me know.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:40PM
lauraeli_

Anyone? No one?

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:24PM
froeschli

I use 2/3 perlite, 1/3 av mix - same as my usual potting mix. Sometimes I dome, others I don't. They seem to root faster with more humidity, but are also more likely to rot.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:38PM
Linda

Check out the reply I gave Mary Ann under 'Help with my violet, please'. It has all you need to know about re-rooting.

Linda

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:54AM
lauraeli_

Well, this one met a swift death.

Ive never seen anything quite like it.

The entire crown turned a dark grey. Underside had an orange tinge. My guess is some kind of fungus.

It was merely a continuation of a previous problem, as leaves were going soft and grey beforehand. Dont you just love buying seemingly healthy plants, just to have issues show up within a week? First one in a while that I couldnt save. Even the leaves i put down turned gray immediately. It was so beautiful, too...

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 4:37PM
sueok_gw

Wow! What an unlucky break! I'm so sorry! It looked salvageable in the first photo. I can hardly believe you lost it so quickly.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 5:45PM
Vikki(7b / 8)

I've had that happen too. Buy a new plant only to see it slow disintegrate in front of your eyes over a few days. Very sad.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:21PM
froeschli

I always blamed my rough handling when washing the soil off the roots. hence the new "off with her head"-approach.
can't damage roots that aren't there.

i find once a plant has root rot, you'll be lucky if the top of the crown or any leaves make it. usually they look fine, until the next minute when they are just so much grey slush.

was your plant a little hopi? it's leaves kind of look like it. i nearly bought a second one today, it is one of my favourites...

Karin

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:39PM
lauraeli_

I really think it was. This is what it looked like when I bought it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™