chimeras?

tgplp(8a)July 19, 2012

I am new to African Violets, and I'm wondering why chimeras are in their own category from standard african violets. I understand they have BEAUTIFUL flowers with stripes on each petal, which I adore, but why put them in a different category? Do they have a different growth pattern? On Lyndon Lyon's website, they only sell chimera plants, not any leaves, and they are much more expensive. Why is that?

Yikes, sorry, so many questions! :)

Taryn

P.S. if anyone has a chimera leaf to spare, I would love one. I have some pretty african violets (no named cultivars yet) that I would be happy to send a leaf or two in return.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist3

Taryn, Chimeras are in their own group because they are literally 2 plants in one with both plants being partially expressed in the pin-wheeled colored flower.

These unique plants are only stably propagated when grown from a sucker as opposed to being grown from a leaf, however, I have heard you can grow them from a flower-stalk if the stalk has large enough leaflets to allow it to survive to the point of producing plantlets (I have never been successful doing this). This also explains why they're so expensive because because the propagating expense is much greater.

This website seems to give a good technical explanation: http://chimeraav.com/growing/what-are-chimera-african-violets-a-simple-explanation/

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 8:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan796(6A)

The Violet barn has a very good explanation to your question with pictures as examples.
Type in "Propagation of chimera African violets" in their search box. They make it easy for anyone to understand by showing how it's done.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Why has this happened?
Why has this happened? I have a beautiful AV called...
tonibaumgard
How can I get my AV's to bloom?
I started a few AV's from leaves. They are big enough...
zzackey
MA's Ching Dynasty
I was so happy to see this bloom finally open!!! :-)...
shihtzu4su
Is my African Violet in Shock?
Last night my little sister accidentally knocked my...
Lauren7
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Chimera Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Chimera Floor Lamp by Artemide
$2,790.00 | Lumens
Chimera 1-light Imperial Bronze Extra Large Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Quoizel Chimera Traditional Outdoor Hanging Lantern
1800Lighting
Chimera 1-light Outdoor Bronze Fixture
Overstock.com