Mini african violet is about to die... please help!

miniafricanvioletJuly 7, 2013

I bought my first african violet and it was in great shape! Now the leaves are turning purple and falling off and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm afraid it will die any day now if I don't do something soon! Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Over watered. I don't gold much hope for it personally. Sorry.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 10:34PM
aegis1000

It's dead ... you likely kept it too wet.

We've all done it ...

African Violets soil should kept, at most, slightly damp.

Too much water in the soil will kill them.

I've had plants survive with little or no water for months, ... but they won't survive too much water.

Get yourself a new plant ... and just give it a little water (enough to dampen the soil) every week or so.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 10:34PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Also, in the photo, the potting mix looks much too heavy, so therefore it will stay too wet. I currently use the Miracle-Grow African Violet mix and I add perlite to it, two parts mix to one part perlite. That keeps the soil light and it drains well. I don't think your plant can be revived, but there are always more beautiful plants to buy, I hope you have success with the next one.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 1:02AM
Linda

Dear Mini,
Your little violet is now in plant heaven. Along with the others, I agree that it was kept too wet. Your pot is also too big which also contributes to soggy soil. Rule of thumb: pot size should be 1/3 the size of your violet no matter what size pot it came in. And, as Aegis says, we've all been there. Chalk it up to a learning experience and go buy another one. Good luck!

Linda

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 1:40AM
miniafricanviolet

Thank you all! I am thinking about going to buy some new soil today (if my plant is still alive) and I have stopped watering it as often and put some rocks in the bottom for drainage and to increase the humidity. So what do you guys think? Is my poor little violet still salvageable?

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 2:25PM
tommyr_gw

Toss it. Sorry but it's basically a goner. We all lose plants from time to time.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:23PM
Linda

If you feel like experimenting, go ahead and try to save it. You will need a much smaller pot (like a pill cup size) and I don't think rocks are going to help. You need a light soil so your roots don't rot.
After you've re-potted in a smaller pot and better soil, put it in a plastic baggie or under a dome in good light. Let us know how it goes.

Linda

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 4:19PM
Linda

Another thought-drainage, per se, is not your problem. Your soil is too heavy. You can have perfect drainage and if your soil is too heavy it holds on to water to the point the roots rot.

Linda

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™