AV leaves

gardenbear1(6 Ma.)July 28, 2008

I have a friend who wants to send me 3 leaves of his Black Pantther av but I don't what to tell him on how to ship them so they won't die. this will be the first time any one has send me av leaves Please help

Bear

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

Ask your friend to clip the leaves the same day he sends them. The leaves from the third row from the center are best, not too old, not too young, just right.

After clipping the leaves, place them in a ziploc baggy that has the name of the plant written on it. Do not add any water. Some people wrap the ends in damp cotton and then aluminum foil, but I don't find this necessary.

They should be mailed in a box. For three leaves, a VHS cassette mailer is perfect. To keep the baggy from sliding around it can be taped to the inside of the box. Ship it priority mail and you should have it in 2-3 days. If the leaves are a little wilted when they arrive, they can be soaked in warm water for a while to crisp them up again.

One caution is the heat. If you or he is in a heat wave, wait for cooler weather. Also, ship the box on a Monday so it doesn't sit in the post office or on the truck over the weekend.

Enjoy!

Barbara

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 12:45AM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

Barbara, thanks so much for info on shipping, I should be getting my cuttings next, they will be shipped out mon. now let see if I can get them to root.

Bear

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:19PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Tell your friend to water the plant the day before so the leaves will be nice and turgid.

When you get them, if they are limp, put them in a bowl of warm water for up to 24 hours. This may make them rigid enough to plant.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
No ID optimara blooming!
ok - i know i asked this before.... but i thought i...
shihtzu4su
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
fancy bloomers order?
ok so i got a tracking # at 4:30 on tuesday evening......
shihtzu4su
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
backyard greenhouse advice welcome
Hello All, Does anyone have knowledge of backyard greenhouses?...
fortyseven_gw
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Hue Chandelier - 84314
Great Furniture Deal
Limoges Dakota 2-Tier Ring Chandelier by Justice Design Group
$1,611.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Lighting. Leonidas 1-Light 7.5 in. Outdoor Ceramic Bisque ADA Prairie Wi
Home Depot
Flos | KTribe F2 Floor Lamp
$995.00 | YLighting
Divine Fire DIV02 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$381.65 | Bellacor
elizabethW Rosemary Hand and Body Lotion
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Handicraft Pumpkins - Set of 2
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Certified International Wine Cellar 8.75-in Square Salad/ Dessert Plates (Set of
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™