?? on reusing pots

vall3fam(9 CentralCA)August 2, 2007

I recently repotted a AV I got from HD into a Oyama pot. Unfortunately, it got leaf mealy bugs. It was isolated, so it didn't infect any others and I treated it twice with malathion spray. It now has crown rot and I will probably throw it out rather than spend the time to save it.

Can I reuse the Oyama pot if I run it through the dishwasher? Or can it be reused with some other cleaning method? I hate to throw out a good pot, but don't want to chance infecting another plant.

Any good ideas?

Thanks,

Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

An easier way to combat foliar mealies is with alcohol on a Q-Tip. No need to use harsh and dangerous chemicals.

You could try taking one leaf to save that plant.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 8:19AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Elaine -

if you soak your Oyama in a hot water with 1/3 Clorax and dishwashing soap - I am pretty sure that it will be clean. After that - wipe it with a rubbing alcohol. They cannot take alcohol.

But - the leaf mealies can park their eggs on the shelf, under the shelf, in all kind of nooks and crannies. I would spray the whole area with alcohol.

I agree with Nancy - Malathion is harsh - and it kills the growth point of the violet. And if you take a couple leaves right now, trim them - wash in alcohol, recut - and put for rooting - and send the rest of the plant to the garbage, you will get new happy plantlets and get rid of the pest.

good luck

Irina

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 1:57PM
vall3fam(9 CentralCA)

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I waited too long to take a leaf, as when I looked at it today, all the leaves are mushy. Oh, well, good lesson learned about pesticides, buying plants at HD, and keeping plants isolated. At least I got one of the three right! :)

I've got plenty others to occupy me for now!

Thanks,
Elaine

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
Robs Marching Band..anyone heard of this variety.
Hello, I recently bought leaves of Robs Marching Band...
minal
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
another wicking system
i am pretty pleased that this works! 3.5 oz condiment...
shihtzu4su
How can I get my AV's to bloom?
I started a few AV's from leaves. They are big enough...
zzackey
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 17H in. Sculpted Ornate Urn - 93-4436
$68.00 | Hayneedle
Gandia Blasco | Sahara Planter 1
$530.00 | YLighting
19" Hammered Polished Copper Planter
Signature Hardware
Alessi Ottagonale Tray
Design Within Reach
Enclume 8-Tier Cookware Stand
$389.99 | FRONTGATE