Is it beneficial to disbud baby plants?

jonmcdadeAugust 18, 2012

Hi all

It's me Jon again.

I'v received a couple of new plants this week. They are healthy looking and also in bloom. Yea!,, But the plants are very small an I wonder if it would be more beneficial to dis bud the plants at this time so to put all their energy into growing? I know some hard core showers practice something similar before a show. Would the plants gain a benefit from this practice?

Also one plant I recieved arrived healthy but with all it's leaves straight up in the air and they won't come down! Do I have to wilt them by with holding water before they will lower again? Or is it a big to to for nothing?

As always your advice is appreciated

Regards Jon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suecirish(6 SE MA)

The benefit to disbudding is that the plant can then use its energy for growth and root development instead of bloom production.

Leaves up in the air is a light issue - Do not withhold water to deliberately wilt. You will do much potential damage to the roots, possibly irreversible. Usually leaves up is a result of too little light, with the leaves reaching for more. It is also possible, and I have experienced it, that it is too much light and the leaves are raised as a protective response to provide some shading for the new growth in the crown. I would let your new plants just adjust to their new environment for a while and see if the leaves relax on their own first.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 7:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Taxonomist3

I'm all for disbudding after the plants arrive. It's good to make sure the plants are what you purchased, but once you've verified this, I find it's better to remove the buds for the reasons you listed as well as a protection against inviting something like thrips into your home.

Furthermore whenever I order plants via mail-order, they come wrapped up pretty good with the leaves more or less pointing upward. They usually adjust back to normal position after a week or 2 once the plant has gotten situated in its new place without wilting the plant to cause it.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™