rainwater

BlondieJanAugust 26, 2013

I tried posting this a minute ago.....didn't show up, so I'll try again. So, if this is a duplicate, please forgive me.

Thank God for the rain! I was down to about the last gallon of rainwater that I collected early this summer. My violets love it! I was again out in the heavy rain with an umbrella over my head, my butt got very wet! :-) I collected about 20 gallons. Should I put it in jugs right away? Does the nitrogen dissipate? I want to collect more next time it rains to last over the winter!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Nitrogen won't dissipate because it is a part of our air - some in some out. So you can put your water in jugs any time. During the rain- the water collects some dust from the air - so you can potentially have some organic material in it that will create some murkiness, it is not a distilled water. But it should not harm the plants.

I.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BlondieJan

Thank you. I figured that anything suspended in the water, like dust, etc. will settle out to the bottom of the barrel. I know it is not pure. Used to wash my hair in it when I was a young woman....makes it nice and soft! Distilled water is pure water, this is not. But my violets love it. Hope I can get enough to last the winter! I have about 30 gallons now, and it's going to rain again later today, so I can get some more to top off the 34 gallon barrel in my garage.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
Never had an AV before - newbie question!
I've been gifted an african violet this afternoon (no...
TrilliumFae
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™