What kind of pots?

starmommaAugust 27, 2008

I bought some African Violets and have kept them alive for several months now. I was wondering what is the best kind of pot for them and where I can buy them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Starmomma -

we have very good FAQ on this forum. Please - read - and may be they will help you not only keep you plants alive - but make them perform better and better and make you smile every day ;-)).

you want so called azalea plastic pots - the diameter larger then the depth - and you need to select the pot which diameter is 1/3 of the leaf span of your plant.

If you have a good nursery around - they possibly sell something appropriate. Or check on the AVSA.org vendors - and order some. I think Cape Cod Violetry carries whatever necessary.

I personaly do not use the expensive double AV ceramic pots - they are heavy and you need to be really vigilant not to kill plants in them. But some growers are quite successful with them. Another option that works very well - is so called Oyama pots - just be sure that the soil is very light. You can google them and see what they are.

Good luck, happy growing and lots of blooms

Irina

PS check on AVSA.org Affiliates - there are good AV clubs in Oklahoma - may be you would like to see their show and visit their meeting. People are very welcoming and generous with the advice and plants to share with newbies. The last AVSA convention was in Tulsa- and it was fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - basic care

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 2:05PM
frank325

Anyone find these kinds of plastic azalea pots at the big box stores? I look every so often and never see anything like it.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 5:15PM
nwgatreasures(7)

I've NEVER seen the kind of supplies that we need as violet enthusiast in big box stores.

If you get in connection with a local society - they probably have supplies for sale. If not, take the extra effort to order supplies from some of the various suppliers mentioned on this forum. it is well worth the effort and expense.

The stuff you pick up at the stores isn't really what I would consider "real" violets....but that's just my VOCD speaking :)

Dora

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Help! Limp brown stems of leaves
One of my new babies has been too wet and I read that...
frankielynnsie
Thanks for helpful hints
Just a note to let you all know that while researching...
michellervt
Unknown and new order from pjs violets
Walking around local nursery for supplies and I couldn't...
loveofbostons
Optimare Violets changed their flowers ... just to be balanced.
#1 This Optimara was pink with tiny purple dots near...
jujujojo_gw
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. LV41SLV Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage Die Cast Bra
$73.12 | Home Depot
Black and White Story One-Light Wall Sconce in Black Satin Lacquer Finish
$871.50 | Bellacor
47" x 22" x 8" Double Bowl Granite Stone Kitchen Sink - BESSO
Living'ROC
Korver Sleeper Sofa - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
DMX Decoder-Studio (24 Channel-3A per Channel)
EnvironmentalLights.com
JOOLA USA Smash Table Tennis Paddle - 53135
$51.22 | Hayneedle
What a Gem Lamp
$239.99 | Dot & Bo
Black Chrome Kitchen Tool Set
$34.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™