Rotting Leaves

suz7August 15, 2013

I'm new to violets and the forum, so this is my first post. My first violets should be here in a few days. In the mean time, I've started leaves from 6 violet - 5 trailers and one mini. I had a trailer many years ago and loved it.
I started the leaves 1 week ago in half sphagnum and half perlite in 3 oz. solo cups - 2 to each. I have the 6 cups covered in a plastic shoebox. I've wiped condensation from the lid each day in case I over watered. I didn't think I did. Today I noticed 2 of the leaves in different pots had brown patches on them - Rot? I cut those parts of the leaves off.
Should I separate the cups and put them in plastic bags? Is there anything I can put on them in case the rot has spread?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

Suz,
Cut the rot off and dust with cinnamon. Crack the lid of the shoebox so your leaves get a bit of air circulation. I dome mine and take the dome off for a bit of time usually every day. The dome also has a whole at the top that I can close or open according to how much condensation there is. Bottom heat, as in a heat mat, works wonders for me.

Linda

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:33AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hear, hear - Linda is correct.

Your soil should be barely moist, so dry it up a bit - and you do not need 100% humidity. If you think you overwatered - put yor pots on a stack of newspaper - it will suck the extra water out.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:36PM
suz7

Linda and Irene,
I used the cinnamon - who knew - sat them on newspaper and left the cover off. It's so nice to have people who know so much to ask questions of.
Thanks - Suz

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™