Odd bloom on Darcy Bussell

Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTNJuly 11, 2014

Hi all,

So I have been excitedly watching a new crop of buds that recently popped up on my potted Darcy Bussell, the first one bloomed today and it was a little suprise. It is oddly single, still fragrant and lovely, but with a low petal count. This rose lives in a huge pot, with great soil and regular watering, it gets about 5 1/2 hours of morning sun a day because it is on my porch. My only guess would be maybe it isn't getting enough sun? Or is this common behavior for a rose in the middle of summer? I have had this rose since may, I purchased it as a very healthy 4 gallon plant from my local nursery. It has been in the same location the whole time I have had it and has had a pretty regular repeat the whole time, she seems to be a very healthy rose with great re-bloom, one of my best. I am just wondering if this will be a reoccurring thing, I guess I'll just have to wait for the rest of these buds to mature.

Bloom today:

Previous blooms:

Thanks for any input!

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:29

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_bustopher z6 MO

Petal count varies notoriously with the heat. If it has been hot where you are, your petal count can go down dramatically. This is true with any roses that form during hot weather.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 12:29AM
roseseek

Heat and maturity of the plant. Less double flowers are very common on younger plants, particularly in high heat. Even established, old timers frequently throw less double, even pure single flowers when growing rapidly due to extreme heat. Kim

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 3:28AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Funny. But the shape of your red bloom reminds me of the pink rose I have that is marked wrong. Also a DA. I would tag that cane and see if it keeps up that style or not. My whole pink rose has never turned back to a PAOK and I am not sure if it a different variety and just got mixed up in the fields or budding

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 10:56AM
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN

Thank you for your explanations! That makes sense, I have read about and noticed on my own roses shrinking of the flower size during the summer heat, but I have never heard of a flower taking on a different form, just goes to show how much left I have to learn!

Kippy- that is very interesting indeed, I have never heard anything like that happening unless there was severe winter dieback. I would be interested to find out more about the cause of things like that. In my case, it is not just this one stalk, I noticed another bloom opened today, and it has similar symptoms as the other, but is not quite as flat & also a little deeper in color, slightly more like the Darcy I know. Roses are so interesting, they just keep surprising me!

Today's bloom (yesterday's bloom in the background):

Jessica

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 8:50PM
rosefolly

I have seen a similar thing happen with Gertrude Jekyll. Hot weather is a real stress to roses. It is a wonder they can bloom at all in heat, and many do shut down in the worst days of summer.

Actually, so do I.

Folly

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 12:38AM
farmerduck

My Darcy Bussell (3 or 4 years?) does the same thing when it gets really hot. I like these smaller, cheery blooms.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Ladybug
Just a little orange ladybug combing my SdlM. The best...
Adam Harbeck
'Prospero'
We just got back from two wonderful days camped at...
jerijen
I'm addicted to white roses , what is your addiction?
And I can't seem to stop wanting those I find ! I love...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™