algea and chlorox

krystyna1937August 26, 2007

I tried posting this a few minutes ago but it went away. I apologize if it shows up twice now:

There was a thread earlier about algea on pots. This may not apply to other situations but I found scum on the water in the trays on which I keep my av pots (ceramic, non-porous). I mixed 1/4 tsp chlorox with 2qts water and added it to the trays. I don't know if the fumes may have affected the plants but the scum has disappeared.

Any comments?

Krys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krystyna1937

Yup. It showd up twice but the other photo is larger and takes a long time to download so please ignore it. The cottages outside the window belong to a new addition to the subdivision where I now live. The landscaping needs work but the drought has been uncooperative this year.
So, what do you think about Chlorox as an option?
Krys

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 9:11PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Krys -

I am not sure that Clorox doesn't harm the roots. But in your case when you use trays for humidity only - I think it is a great solution.

Since I wick my gesneriads - the scum war is an uphill battle. I wash the mats with Clorox, use Physan in water - but the algae always comes back. My understanding it is not harmful, it just looks yucky. When there is too much of it - it eats your fertilizer. SO I am trying every 1-2 months - to get the trays out, leach the plants, wash the mats, remove spent flowers - just housekeeping. Not always keep up with the schedule, though.

You have a beautiful subdivision, open view - just do not put the blue spruce tree in front of your window ;-))

Irina

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 1:22PM
krystyna1937

Hi Irina,
I don't have mats (what are the mats for and what are they made of?), just glazed pots sitting on a tray full of water for humidity. The plants can't touch the bleach-treated water. So far its working with the very diluted bleach.
The subdivison outside my apt window is part of the large "campus" of a continuous care retirement community. Those are rather large cottages that many of the residents have elected to live in. My husband and I opted for an apartment -- less work, close to services etc. We love the place. Mountains all around. Bears sometimes come visiting -- not so nice but exotic.

Krys

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 8:31PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Krys - sorry for not replying - I was out of town.

I had the pleasure to visit Asheville years ago - and it so very beautiful.

Looks like I would never opt to live in apartment - I would be happy to have some dirt around so I would be planting roses, roses and roses around my house. You can create a beauty on your own with your paintbrush - and the rest of us less gifted - need to use somebody's else creations to surround our life with it.

About mats - if you search on light stands. wicks and mats - you will find lots of info - but basically - you use a fuzzy synthetic material - like fleece blanket - to line your tray. When wet - it provides humidity for your plants and of the pots have wicks - short pieces of yarn hanging out of their drainage holes - water with the fertilizer goes up into the pot by capillary action. To provide the constant source of water for the mat - you can put a support for it - usually it is an egg-crate grid - and let the edges of the mat soak the water from the bottom of the tray. So - you have constant fertilizing, source of water and humidity - and your violets are happy for 10 days between waterings.

I.

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 5:20PM
krystyna1937

Irina,
Your mat-and-wick system seems loical and practical. I must try it.
 About life in an apt: My husband and I have lived in large houses and plenty of garden space. I loved gardening and everything was great as long as we could keep up with the work. Now we live in a big apartment (a bit over 1700sq.ft.) in a great independent retirement community surrounded by mountains and we don't miss the work one bit. I have a nice balcony for my bonsai trees as well as several roomy north-facing window sills for my av's and even a small room for my painting studio. There's plenty of time for travel and other activities.
There is life after mortgage:-)
Krys

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 11:36PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Amen!!!

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Miniature african violet drooping badly
I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet...
bluedahlia5
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™