Is this a Chimera??

jonmcdadeAugust 6, 2012

Hi All,

I've had this african violet for two years now. It was a supermarket find and quickly became a favorite.

I love its deep purple and cream colors with the lacy edges. I've tried to find its name on the internet but have had no luck as of yet. I was wondering if anyone recognized this beauty? Also I was wondering if it looked like a chimera to anyone? With the central purple stripe and white edges it almost looks as if it qualifys. But one doesnt usually find chimeras in the supermarket....right??

After reading about africcan violets I realized this one had a double crown, and have now seperated them. This is the end result which is why it might look mishappened at the moment. I saved the other crown and hope it roots. I'd love to have another of this girl. Incidently the other crown did bloom before seperation exactly as the parent plant.

thoughts?

Jon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist3

You're right, you generally don't find chimeras in the super market (but sports arise fairly spontaneously sometimes). Have you tried propagating by leaf? If it comes true from leaf it likely is not a true chimera. I know there are a few faux chimeras out there, and this may be one. It doesn't detract from its beauty though! Also it would be near impossible to try to identify it. There are literally thousands of named varieties with any handful matching the same descriptions, and this doesn't even begin to account for all the un-named varieties in the world as well.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 6:56AM
aegis1000

Hi jonmcdade ...

That looks like Optimara Cora ... not a chimera, but a nice plant.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:34PM
suecirish(6 SE MA)

I was going to say the same as aegis500. It definitely looks like Optimara Rhapsodie Cora - a beautiful AV. In my opinion, I would say, no, definitely not a chimera. It does not have defined striping through the petals.

Rhapsodie Cora (Holtkamp) Single-semidouble white frilled/dark purple patches. Medium-dark green, pointed, glossy, hairy, scalloped. Standard

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:13PM
jonmcdade

Wow!!! you guys are good!! Thats her exactly. Thank you for the name. I looked it on on bing and found her immediately. Thank you bushels and bushels.
So far Cora (Rhapsodie Cora) is my favorite av. She's very forgiving of my novice mistakes.and thrives inspite of my poor care....LOL...Gotta love anyone who is right???
I plan on repotting her in better soil when she's done bloomiing.....
Jon

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Is my African Violet in Shock?
Last night my little sister accidentally knocked my...
Lauren7
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
backyard greenhouse advice welcome
Hello All, Does anyone have knowledge of backyard greenhouses?...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™