Life of Lights

jobear446September 5, 2008

Can anyone tell me how long plant lights last before they need to be replaced? Mine will be two years old this coming Christmas. They are regular shop lights and have done a great job. Just wondering...

Joanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi Joanne,
I believe they are supposed to be changed annually. In my case I wait until they burn out which can mean a few years.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 7:33PM
frank325

It's safe to say the sun will last for another 3 billion years, maybe more. At that point, you'll want to find a replacement.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 7:58PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Cute, Frank, cute. LOL I have heard 1 1/2 years. I am cheap though and tend to drive them til they drop. I can get a good 3 years out of some of them. My plants look just fine.

Larry

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 6:43PM
nwgatreasures(7)

I'm glad to see sense of humor.
I originally was going to post "until they go out" but wasn't sure if it would be appreciated.

Is there any con to using it until it goes/burns out? It's not hurting the plant, right?

Dora

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 7:17PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Nope, the light output just lessens with time. You just get less light to the plant. Again, my plants bloom just fine even with old lights.

Larry

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 10:38PM
frank325

I bought a shop light and 2 plant/aquarium lights at walmart tonight. Came home, put the lights in, plugged it in.... nothing! So next time I'm not leaving the store until I TEST it first AT the store... ugh.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 12:39AM
bspofford

I too have had problems with lights from WM. Home Depot has the best prices for shop lights.

One thing to remember is to try not to replace both bulbs at the same time. The change in intensity can cause a culture break.

Barbara

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 8:34AM
nwgatreasures(7)

Barbara,
What is a culture break?

Is that like culture shock where you go from one thing to another and its just too much to handle at one time?

Dora

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 10:01AM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Dora,

Brand new lights are very bright for a few weeks. If you replace two old bulbs at one, the intensity of the light can be rough on some of the violets. Or so I have been told. I have replaced two bulbs at a time once or twice and didn't see any problems, but then I have 24 inch bulbs. Maybe 48 inch bulbs can make a difference because the intensity is over a wider area. Just a thought.

Larry

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 1:01PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
When I purchased my new light stand I automatically put two new bulbs in each fixture. My plants began to bleach out and turn a sickly yellow. I reduced the number of hours the lights were on for about a month and eventually they all came back. As for a culture break, click the link below and look at the break in my Picasso and how I dealt with it.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Voice

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™