What kind of soil to use for repotting African violet babies?

zzackey(8b GA)September 15, 2011

I can only find Miracle Grow soil for Af. violets. I used the regular one they make and it killed 3 of my jade plants. I'm afraid it will kill my violets. What do you use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sonority

It wasn't necessarily Miracle Grow that killed your Jade plant. A jade plant is a succulent and requires a light soil; if you are careful with watering the Miracle Grow Cactus and Succulent soil works fine. Lightening the soil further gives you more leeway.

That being said, straight Miracle Gro AV soil is too heavy for your African Violets. You can use it, but if you do, mix it at least 1:1 with Perlite.

If you want to make your own soil, the recommended soil is 1:1:1 Vermiculite, Peat, and Perlite. (Or use the premix soil instead of peat.)

I use a commercial AV soil (such as Miracle Gro) and I mix it at least 1:1 with perlite, usually I add extra perlite than that.

Hope that helps.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 12:18PM
suecirish(6 SE MA)

I use a regular soilless potting mix that is mostly peat with no fertilizer added to the mix. Then, as Sonority said, I cut it with 1:1 perlite. I generally do not use vermiculite. The key is, again as Sonority said, to keep the soil light and able to drain quickly. You don't want the AV roots to stay in wet soil, even though they do like it a little moist. I have used Miracle Grow AV mix with added perlite and it was ok, but I prefere to control my own fertilizing and feeding, so I like to use a mix without that added.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 1:53PM
ima_digger

I do the same as Sonority and Sue. I use MG African Violet mix and perlite, 50/50. If I am starting leaves, I usually add a little vermiculite to the mix. So for leaves the mix is 1 cup mix, 1 cup perlite, 1/2 cup vermiculite. Some people on other forums root their leaves in pure vermiculite. I think it stays wet too long and not enough air for roots to spread. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Miniature african violet drooping badly
I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet...
bluedahlia5
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™