need some help

nccactuslady(7)September 26, 2007

Hi everyone... can someone tell me how and when to pot up babies started from leaves? Do I cut off from the "mother" stem leaving all the roots with the babies? How big of a pot do I need to use for the babies?

Thanks for any help.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Nancy-

there is a wonderful site where a lot of things are explained and illustrated by a bunch of pics.

I would suggest for you to look it up so you would get the general idea. The whole site is a treasure.

Good Luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's Reflections

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 4:34PM
nccactuslady(7)

Irina thank you so much

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 5:50PM
seattlemarigene

I can never find small pots for babies so I use those small plasic dixie cups with a hole poked in the bottom.When they get bigger I use bigger dixie cups.I usually seperate them from the mom when the leaves are nickel sized.I just pull them off the mom....:0)marigene

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 7:46PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

I can get a lot of small plastic pots. They're 2" wide, with many holes in the bottom. In fact I've been using them for my violets during the first 3, 4 months of their life. The pot cost $0.1 each. The only draw back is they're "black"!
Should you like them, I can get them to you in exchange for stuff like perlite, vermiculite, bark chips, etc. which I normally cannot find where I am. Email me if you're interested.

Xuan

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 9:22PM
bspofford

Marigene,

I too searched for just the right small cup for babies and leaves. There is a coffeemaker called a Kuerig that uses a prepackaged 2 ounce cup that is the perfect size. My bank has one in the lobby for customers, and I discovered the cups there. I had them save the 'garbage' because it drops the cup into a bin automatically, and I cleaned them out and re-used them. I found a bulk deal on the same cup on e-bay. I just looked, and only see the 2 ounce souffle cup, which is wider and shorter, so not really good for this purpose. However, some party supply stores may sell the right cup as a container for 'jello shots.' In looking online, some are the taller narrower one, some sell the souffle type. Solo makes them, so you may find them as a special order item.
In summary, google for Kuerig, jello shot, and solo cup, and you'll come up with some pictures.

Are you still in Seattle? We lived in Mukilteo.

Barbara

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™