How To Package For Shipping

nwgatreasures(7)September 26, 2008

I've recently decided to swap/trade with other AV lovers but I spent a long while this week trying to figure out how to best package these things so they would arrive in usable condition.

I do not want to have spent the time propogating and caring for these precious plants and then have them be ruined in transit.

I've got several plants right now that are waiting to be sent to others and I can't figure out how to best package them.

These are plants, not leaves. They have wicks in them and are planted in solo cups. I used baby food jars to hold water and the plants are in excellent condition.

How to pack, what to package in, etc. I appreciate quick responses since I am already days after I promised to ship out.

TIA,

Dora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larius

Here is how Rob's Violets ship (link below). My order from them arrived in good condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob's Violets -

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 6:40PM
bspofford

Dora,
The information from Rob's website is pretty comprehensive. The only thing I would add is that in my experience, a plant that has really stiff leaves, such as one on wicks or just watered, is more likely to have broken leaves from 'bending up' to wrap. I take mine off the reservoir for a few days so the stems are a little more flexible. One could also use the plastic sleeves/cones that many violets are shipped in, and then finish off in a newspaper cone.

I have watched Olive wrap plants for shipping. She very gently coaxes the newspaper under the leaves and forms the 'cone' without breaking leaves. Magic.....

Barbara

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 6:57PM
nwgatreasures(7)

That explanation (on Violet Barn) is helpful.
Thanks. Hopefully, I'll be able to package soundly and ship without damage.

Dora

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 10:12PM
ima_digger

Thanks for the great link. Now, how do you ship leaves?
I just sent some leaves out, in 2" dixie cups with moist spagham moss in bottom, and them in plastic baggie. Person received them and said they were mush. I thought it was a good way. Please tell me how to ship. I want to replace them to her.
Eileen

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 11:08AM
bspofford

Shipping leaves is really pretty easy. In this case, you want leaves nice and crisp. Write the name on a baggie and place the freshly cut leaf inside, squeeze out most of the air, and you are ready to go!. Be sure to ship priority mail. You want to keep the leaves from moving around in the box, so I tape the bags to a piece of lightweight cardboard and tape the cardboard to the inside of the box. VHS tape mailers make great boxes for quite a few leaves.

Be sure to consider temperatures along the trip, and use a bigger box with insulation if needed.

Barbara

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 11:17AM
ima_digger

Thanks Barbara. It sounds easy enough. I'll do as you said. Hope they make it this time.
Eileen

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Advice for Newbies
In reading through this African Violet forum, I see...
Linda
African Violets/Yellow
Can someone please suggest a good and easy yellow or...
Marigold33
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Sponsored Products
Sleeper Sofabed in Beige
Dot & Bo
Azzurra | Azzurra Marilyn 05 Console
$4,240.58 | YBath
Melitta 63230 E-Filter Reusable K-Cups for Keurig K-Cup Brewers (10-count)
Overstock.com
Blu Dot | Desk 51
YLiving.com
Radiax 2700K 35-Degree 21-Watt LED White Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Aurora Ceiling Fan with Light by Modern Fan Company
$384.00 | Lumens
Custom Notting Hill Ottoman
Home Decorators Collection
Thomas Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Covington 1-Light Hanging Outdoor Black Lanter
$71.20 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™