Multiple Crowns?

SunnySkiesSeptember 3, 2013

So I've had this plant for a year or so and the bottom leaves are dying off at an odd rate. I had always wondered if it had multiple crowns but being pretty new with plants, have absolutely no idea what's what.

So, ah, is there two crowns? If so, how do I separate them? I have a pot and the items needed but I just have no idea. Help?

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by SunnySkies on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

Sunny.

A crown is the growing point of the plant. If you look at your violet, you should see the spot where the leaves grow from the center. Sometimes, a plant will have more than one crown. Yours looks as though it may have a small crown in the front of the picture. See that leaf that is growing backwards? Look there and see if that is another growing point.

You do not have to divide it if you like the way it looks. Plants are divided for several reasons: looks, growth, (if a violet gets too bushy, it can sometimes be detrimental to growth) and for the show table.

If there is a sucker there, snap it off gently at its base. It will probably be between two leaves so be careful so you avoid removing more leaves than you need to. Remove a row of bottom leaves on the sucker so you have a 'neck'. Place this neck in your potting soil up to the leaf line, water and place in a baggie. I about two weeks, it should have its own roots. Easy-peasy!

Linda

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:44AM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™