Worm Castings

cork_oh(5OH)September 14, 2007

Hi

Is anyone using worm castings in your soil mix? If so, what do you think? Does it do any good?

Thanks

Cork

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erlyberd(Z5 CT)

I started experimenting with wormcastings and compost from my garden. I have a good amount of both. I swift through a 1/4" hardware cloth. I tried it out on some plants that seem to be too tender for chemical fertilizer. I'm happy with the results so far. Make sure you pastureise it before using.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 3:31PM
prettyphysicslady(8B/N. Houston)

I love them! They do wonders for the plants and I use them outdoors as well as indoors.

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 9:36PM
violetta1976(8 Portland OR)

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Someone care to explain, pretty please?

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:29AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Violetta -

they are talking about earth worm manure.

You can keep your own worm farm under the sink, produce a small amount of worm poop for your own needs. They do not smell bad, they eat vegetable leftovers - and if you have 8-10 old kids - it can be a nice project for them. Otherwise you can buy dried "castings" or a soil mix with castings.

Irina

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 7:33PM
marianh250_aol_com

I use full strenght worm castings for my african violets. Is this going to make them bloom for frequently.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 2:15PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Mariah -

I add a cup of castings per 5 gallon bucket of soil. Full strenght? Are you planting your violets into castings? I would think that it will burn and kill them.

To make them bloom more frequently you need to keep AVs in very consistent conditions - so far I know one way - wicking with a weak fertilizer solution, fluorescent light - 12 hours in - 12 out, 60 percent air humidity etc, etc. - then they bloom 10 months out the year. If something is missing - you will get less bloom.

Good Luck and try to add a small amount of castings - treat them as vitamins - 1 pill a day is good, a bottle at once will make you sick.

Irina

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
Advice for Newbies
In reading through this African Violet forum, I see...
Linda
Looking for miniature AV culture advice
Boy, that title should open me up to a comment or two....or...
Bill
AV cousins.... streps
so i was curious how many of you also grow streps?...
shihtzu4su
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™