Veilchenbleu Pruning - Help

jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)July 20, 2011

I have a young Veilchenbleu rose that will be in its third spring flush this coming spring and I want to maximize its bloom, but I don't know when or how to prune this rose. None of my other climbers are once-bloomers so this is unknown territory for me. This rose has really taken off this spring/summer and is totally healthy, so there are no damaged or diseased branches to remove. It is growing against a six-foot privacy fence and my hope is to train it horizontally along an approximate 16 foot length of the fence.

Thanks,

Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

You don't need to prune it, unless there is dead wood that needs removing. Your idea about training it horizontally along the fence is perfect - that will make it bloom more. I would take the first long canes and tie them horizontally along the fence, as low down as you can. Then eventually new canes will emerge along the length of that one, and you do the same thing.

My veilchenblau is over 10 years old, and I don't think I have ever pruned an inch of it. It runs along a fence, and is also going up into a nearby tree (I am a "laissez faire" gardener).

Jackie

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

Jackie, thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it and I'm going to follow your advice. The canes on this rose are limber and thornless so tying it up will be easy!

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Lizzy in the garden
Off topic - sorry, but I know you all like animals....
jacqueline9CA
Rose Spring Dwarf Disease on Mel's Heritage?
Does this look like Rose Spring Dwarf Disease on Mel's...
jo_pyeweed
ID great great grandma's rose
Hello! I was advised to ask for help on this page when...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
The alba Jos├ęphine de Beauharnais (Vibert 1823)
In a recent mail to the Swedish Rose Society Odile...
mariannese
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™