sick and dying Fancy Guppies
Hi I lost about 8 of my fancy guppies. I had been using a bucket with some Clorox in it. I had the lid on I woke up during the night and had to use the toilet it was not available and I could not wait so I urinated in the bucket, I feel back to sleep. That morning I woke up with a sore throat and watery eyes. During the day I noticed that my guppies where acting lethargic, I thought it could have some thing to do with the vapors that had come from the bucket. The tank the guppies are in has two air pumps supplying air to a under gravel filter and a large air stone. The vapor from the bucket had been pumped into the tank by the air pumps killing half of the guppies in that tank.
I did a search on mixing Clorox and urine and found out that it results in a very toxic vapor. I know most people won't have the same exact experience I did but be very careful when you use Clorox even by itself the fumes emitted into the atmosphere can be picked up by your air pump and end up contaminating and killing your fish.I can attest to the fact that the Clorox vapors can lead to problems when breathed in.
I changed a lot of water in the tank, fortunately I keep enough prepared water on hand to totally change out a tank if needed.