mold on soil and transplanting babies

vsjo(z7GA)October 25, 2005

Why does this white mold form on the top of the soil in my pots? I water with diluted violet food every time I water; should I change the way I water?

I have several plants with babies forming in their pots. I would like to transplant the babies to their own pot and give the larger plants as Christmas gifts. If I do, is it possible for the larger plants to continue blooming for Christmas after the disurbance of being re-potted?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lainielady(z5OH)

Violets have their own bloom cycles and it is difficult to predict if they will be in bloom at that time. Some are heavy bloomers(which we all like)and then there are others which have much shorter cycles. Removing suckers and repotting in fresh soil will be good for all plants involved. Sometimes they do go into some shock so perhaps you should do this now and see what the reaction will be, giving yourself time for the plant to recover. Don't overpot as your plant will put all its energy into forming roots. The suggested formula is pot size 1/3 width of leaf span.

There is a schedule to bring a plant into bloom for a specific date. This is based on plants grown under lights, with repotting, disbudding and increasing time grown under lights on a specified schedule. You didn't mention if you have your plants under lights so unless you need this information I won't go into a specific schedule.

Mold growing on top of soil is usually harmless. It loves warm, moist conditions so repotting your violet would be helpful. Be careful not to overpot, use lightened African violet potting mix(add perlite), and watch watering practices(don't let water sit in saucers).

I hope someone has their Christmas brightened from your thoughtful gift!

Elaine

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 5:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rujoanmi(z6 NJ)

Hi vsjo,
Spraying occasionally with neem oil, and having algae in the soil prevent's the mold growing on the soil, and doesn't seem to hurt the plants either. It works for me.
I think Elaine is right though, mold on the soil doesn't seem to hurt the plants, but it is ugly if the soil is visible.
Russell

Bookmark   October 26, 2005 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
spreading your wings to other AV groups
Here is a link.There are also other groups as well. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Violet_Reflections/index.php?act=idx...
fortyseven_gw
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Advice for Newbies
In reading through this African Violet forum, I see...
Linda
Thanks for helpful hints
Just a note to let you all know that while researching...
michellervt
Looking for miniature AV culture advice
Boy, that title should open me up to a comment or two....or...
Bill
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting Studio Lunar White Gloss Mini-Pendant
$329.99 | LuxeDecor
Faz Corner Sectional Chair, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Small Square Outdoor Throw Pillow
Home Decorators Collection
Foremost Bathroom Ashburn 37 in. x 22 in. Vanity with Right Drawers in Mahogany
Home Depot
Brasserie Lion Rouge Wall Art
$229.00 | FRONTGATE