What type of fish blend well with Bettas?

imaginators(z6 KY)January 13, 2005

I have a royal blue, young, single, male Betta. I plan to put 2 cory cats with him. The glass tank will be 12 gallons bio-filtered, heater, cycle/water/test treatments and lights etc. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I have read that guppies blend well with Betta but what else. Also thinking about adding a single, female Betta in there. I so far have bought two plastic plants, rock bridge and black (small) gravel. I will wait until tank is delivered to me before deciding further additions.

Thank you,

Theresa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dasheen(z6a, Ontario)

Whatever you do, do not add just one female betta in with a male. He will most likely harass her to death. You will need to have a good sized tank and lots of females to go with the male.

Usually you could add any fish that is not too agressive and does not have long flowing fins with a betta. Male guppies could be seen as a threat by the betta because of their long flowing colourful fins.

Dasheen

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 7:07PM
imaginators(z6 KY)

Hi Dasheen,
Well if I added 2 or 3 female Bettas to the one male Betta and 2 cory cat fish. Would that work? Along with lots of plants to hide. For some reason I have been reading that Guppies and Bettas blend well. But either way I do not want to get guppies. When I was a kid, I use to raise them. I remember the male guppies use to go after the female guppies relentlessly. Now, I just want to try new types of fish.
Theresa

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 7:20PM
Akromantula

you might want to use silk plants or real ones instead of plastic ones becuase the betta(s) might tear their fins on the plastic plants.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 1:05PM
Minaku(z6 Pittsburgh)

Do not mix the male and female bettas. The male will be stressed from the females harrassing him. Don't put guppies with the bettas either; their flowy fins are reminiscent of a betta's, and either can attack.

Bettas, especially males, do best by themselves. A group of cory cats will do okay in a 10 gallon, but you'd probably want to stop at 5 cory cats, 1 betta, and plants. That leaves plenty of room for your cories and betta to grow, and lots of clean water. You could add a snail, but bettas can and do kill snails.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what happens when a males and a group of females mix.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 1:56PM
imaginators(z6 KY)

I lost my beautiful male Betta from the harrassment of a female Betta. Even with plenty of plants to hide in. I now do not have any Bettas. I also had a few Cory fish then.
Theresa

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 2:00PM
spignergeorge_yahoo_com

What about one male betta with two female, four to six neon tetra, two snails, in a 16 gallon?

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Male and Female Betta Together?
I am a college student and I love fish. Since I had...
newbettaowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™