My current blooms

snappyguyOctober 14, 2010

Just thought I'd share a few pics of what is currently blooming for me. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I had to use a flash for most of them so they're slightly washed out looking.

Tropic Heat

Steel Blue

Optimara EverGrace

The Martian

Rebel's Splatter Kake

Ozornye Volki- Russian Hybrid

Optimara EverBeautiful

Yukako

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eeeoeleven

Gorgeous! I'm thinking I need to finally get a Yukako now...

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:34PM
threas(z7 PA)

So beautiful! Great job taking the photos! Love the coloring on that Yukako too!

Theresa

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 9:29PM
snappyguy

Thanks all. If you do decide to get a Yukako, plan to devote a lot of room to it. It's listed as a standard, but in my experience, and talking to others in my local club, it should be listed as a large. Mine is currently 17 inches! It's a very heavy bloomer as well.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 12:44PM
contrarymarypat(5)

Your Opt Evergrace looks like a chimera! I love Yukako & have bought 2 of them, but they have not thrived for me. I might need to buy a bigger plant instead of a small starter. That seems to work better for me. Thanks for sharing your blooms. Gorgeous!

Mary

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:31AM
snappyguy

Mary,
My EverGrace seems to get about half of its' blooms looking this way, and the other half a more uniform mix of blue and white. I'm not sure if they're true chimeras, but I should probably try to propagate some. This hybrid has been known to sport to chimeras.

Mark

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 4:34PM
bspofford

Thank you for posting the photos, nice job.

In regards to sports and chimeras.....I HAD Rebel's Splatter Kake also, but it sported to a chimera, so now I HAVE Rebel's Astro Spinner. I like it as much as the original, and the stripe is the same color as the blue fantasy.

Barbara

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:53PM
contrarymarypat(5)

I would be so excited if one of my plants sported to a chimera. Rebel's Splatter Kake is one of the 1st named AVs I purchased (at a nursery). It is still growing. Recently I bought Rebel's Astro Spinner. Love them both.

Mary

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 9:51PM
snappyguy

I found out that the white with blue stripe chimera sport of Optimara EverGrace is known as Ko's Nonstop Interface. I've put down some bloom stalks in hopes that they'll take and I can get this plant.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 8:39PM
contrarymarypat(5)

I would think you'd have a good chance since you said about half your blooms look like the chimera. Pretty cool to know it has a name!

Mary

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 9:50PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Thanks for those great photos, I happen to have four of them. Is Steel Blue really that blue? Mine is still a baby, so haven't seen it bloom.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:04PM
snappyguy

The color in the photo of Steel Blue is pretty accurate on my monitor at least. It is one of the "bluest" violets I know of, although violets aren't ever truly blue. I guess I could say that this plant is the least red mixed with the blue.

Mark

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:10PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Thanks, I can't wait for mine to bloom.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Need help to ID
I was given this plant and told it was an African violet....
niccelap
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Never had an AV before - newbie question!
I've been gifted an african violet this afternoon (no...
TrilliumFae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™