Buds & Blooms Browning?

rayne(z5 OH)October 17, 2008

I am an absolute newbie to AV's. I just got two two weeks ago (I think). One was budding, the other not. They are in my bathroom, getting east light. The one in bud opened several, and I noticed they were browning. At first I thought that it was just normal flower fade, but I then noticed that the buds were browning too. Other than that, they seem happy - lots of new growth, happy green leaves. Any ideas why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Rayne - welcome to the very friendly group of AV lovers!

you have your plants for only 2 weeks. The buds started forming much earlier - and they were affected by moving, shipping, change of light and humidity. If your plants do fine, your own buds eventually will open and they will be looking normal.

Check on the FAQ on this site, look at the information on Violet Voice forum, other forums, read the posts. There are so many know-hows and tips that will help you to grow really gorgeous blooming plants. Check in the library for the boooks on African Violets, especially by Melvin Robey - the book for beginners just got publiushed again.

Happy Growing

Irina

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 8:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayne(z5 OH)

Sorry it took so long to reply! Thanks for the info, and since then I am getting new happy looking buds. Seems all is well.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™