how do i save a violet?

sasha_one56(5)October 30, 2007

so i work in an assisted living facility and i've become known as 'the plant girl' since i'm relatively young(24) and new here at this place. they have some african violets that need help bad! it looks to me like they haven't been watered for some time and that some kind of orange-ish yellow fungus has started to grow in the soil. also, the soil has eroded from the base of the plant and that fungus is all over that, too. the leaves are deeeeeeeep green and all kinds of limp. can i save this plant? or is it a goner?? :*(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sasha_one56(5)

so i was playing around with this violet and i realized the actual base of the violet is dead :( the other one i may be able to save b/c it was a small pot with 2 small violets- i split them up and gave them fresh soil and i plan on watering them from the bottom. i also started 2 leaves in a plastic baggie and some soil and some mist to see if i can get them to root. keep your fingers crossed for me, these poor violets need all the help they can get!!

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 3:03PM
alenka(6)

You could actually try to save the one with a dead base, too. I left a link below to Rob's instructions on how to "restore" a violet with a very long neck. Maybe you could do the same: cut off the rotten part of the stem, remove a bunch of lower leaves (leave just a few younger leaves) till you have a short neck with healthy tissue only, and re-root this. The stem of my very first violet once rotted completely, and I saved it like that, by re-rooting the tiny part that was still alive. And I still have that plant, it's doing great.

Here is a link that might be useful: restoring a violet

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 3:49PM
sasha_one56(5)

thanks for the suggestion but it crumpled into dust :(

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 4:22PM
violetta1976(8 Portland OR)

"thanks for the suggestion but it crumpled into dust :("

Oh you poor thing. Yes, I think that's the point at which it's okay to admit defeat. :0(

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 6:30PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
If any leaves are left from the plant you can still save it by starting a new one.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 7:52PM
hummersteve

Yes, you can save a leaf and start a new one but it will be many months before you would see a bloom, do you have the patience for that , might be better to get a new one or try to save one not so far gone,,, good luck.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™