fungus mites

godspoetessOctober 7, 2008

Hello everyone not only am I new in here but I am new at growing african violets. I've never been good at growing them but since my mother in law passed away, I've replanted hers and mine this summer in hopes to keep hers for a long time as well as my own. She also had a couple spider plants.

I am so amazed at how my violets are doing, they are green and shining lots of blooms, sooooooooo healthy...BUT..

those spider plants had fungus mites and now they are after my beauties and I am frantic, can someone please advise me,should I transplant or use mild soap solution. I have rid the other plants of them by washing their roots and new soil. I don't want anything to happen to my violets I am so proud of them. I hope you can help...:( by the way this looks like a great site.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

There are fungus gnats and there are mites - and they are very different. What you see flying are fungus gnats - and somewhere up on ths forum it was suggested to drench the soil of your violets with a solution of Clorax and water. Try to search on it - use this forum SEARCH. I reaally do not remember what is the dilution rate. Fungus gnats are more of a nuisance than the threat, so do not worry.

If you have mites - this is big trouble - but they are small - you only see the damage, not the mites. Hopefully you do not have them - otherwise your violets would be blooming that well.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful group of people who love African Violets.

Irina

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™