Community Tank Question...

tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)January 21, 2010

I have a 55 gal tank that I got for Christmas. The tank is now gonna be a community tank. The tank came with two Pleco's. One is 4 inches and the other 2 inches. I wanted to find them homes so I could have the fish I wanted... maybe some Parrot Mouth Cichlid's, or Oscars, or Ornanda's and a Black Moor. But I am stuck and decided to do a community tank with common live bearers like Neon's, Guppies, Mollies and now I would like some Platy's (I finally found a pet store with them)..oh, and I want a couple Cory Cats too.

So, how many fish can live in a 55 gal? I am planning to let nature run it's course with the fry. Guess this would help.. currently I have 5 neons, 4 black mollies, a pair of guppies and the 2 plecos. I would like to get another guppy or two, a couple cory cat's and platy's. Really impressed with the different variations of Platy's I saw today.

Thanks, Cliff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cityworm

If you mean neon tetras they are not a live bearer. They do better in groups of 10 or more.
You can add more.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 11:12PM
tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)

well, they must be Cardinal's then...

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 8:45AM
cityworm

Neon tetra or cardinal tetra neither one is a live bearer but need same water conditions and in groups of 10 or more.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 4:00PM

good to know. I was told at a few pet stores that both are live bearer. Just a line to make a sale I suppose. lol

K... so on to the real issue at hand...how many Platy's can I put in the tank?

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 7:18PM
cityworm

I would have at least 30 platies.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 7:29PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Would suggest you get two pair of platies /swords in a cultivar you find attractive. You will have several hundred in a couple of months anyway.
Have you been able to locate Cardinal tetras in Lauderdale??. Got some names of shops?? Recently converted my paludaium back into an aquarium and thoise are my favorite fish lol.
The recent cold wiped out my entire population of platies /swords in the outdoor ponds but will wait for spring to restock.. Thanks gary

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 5:43AM

Hi Gary..
Do you raise Platys and Swords to sale? Sorry to hear Jack Frost was so cruel... With a pond don;t you have to worry about neighborhood cats fishing? lol

No, I haven't located any Cardinal Tetras..nor do I care to seek them out..lol I think I am gonna stick with Platys...

Cliff

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 11:28AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Not so much cats but Egrets, Herons, and an occasional raccoon lol Platys and swords are a good choice,hardy ,colorful adapt to all kinds of water. They do multiply in incredible numbers.
Interesting that I've kept them in the pools since 1982
. I usually gathered up a few and brought them into the house during winter"Just in case" This year I didn't as my indoor tanks were being redone. Have had die offs before but never a complete wipeout!! My main heating system for the shadehouse broke down in Nov. so even those in the pool there were killed off.
Saved most of the plants though!!
Good luch with your new tank gary

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 4:39AM
More Discussions
Male and Female Betta Together?
I am a college student and I love fish. Since I had...
newbettaowner
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Platy Questions
Hi, I've recently started a 29 gallon tank and currently...
Haider_Sakhi
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™