Hi! new to african violetsand this forum

gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)October 27, 2012

I have always tried to grow AV but never could, well I just moved to a place with nice big East window with lots of filtered sunlight. My friend gave me a small AV and and boy it is doin great in that spot,so now Im hooked.

Don't have to much experience in growing AV so I'll be hanging around here for a while. LOL

Question.... I like wicking but the AV's I have are not wicked, is it too late to wick now or do I have to repot?

And do you all do holiday trade like we do in other forums.

Thank you so much for your help.

Carmen... member in good standing since 2009

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BabyViolets

Hello, welcome to this forum. I have also just started posting, but have been visiting this forum for years.

Yes you can wick your AV and you do not have to repot, if you try the below method carefully.
First moistened the soil, then tie the acrylic yarn or nylon twine to a knitting needle or a wooden skewer. Carefully drive the needle through the AV root-ball and push it through one of the drainage holes of the pot. Keep at least 3 or more inches of twine hanging outside of the drainage hole. You can do this for all the drainage holes or just one, depending upon the type of yarn you are using and the size of the pot.

Make sure the needle is driven towards the center of the pot/rootball and not near the edge of the pot.

If you feel you do not have enough space between the leaves to drive in the knitting needle or you feel that you might break some leaves in the process, then I would recommend just re-potting the plant.

hope this helps,
BabyViolets

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 2:32PM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

Thank you babyviolet I will try that tomorow and see how it works, it sounds simple enough.
Carmen

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 10:33PM
Empress012

Welcome!!! Hope you enjoy it here. I am new as well and Baby Violets' way of wicking is very good.
However, also keep in mind that wicking requires a soilless mix as well. Well, not always. I have heard stories where soil has worked. But better on the safe side than not, I feel.
The attached website has great info for a newbie and at the bottom she has a mix she uses for wicking and also adds in a note to use it for non-wicking.
I hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Debbie's African Violets - Soil mix

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 12:46AM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Gardencraze, you will love it here. Great info and help from experienced growers. I love the gallery too and the exchange section.
Happy Growing!

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Looking for miniature AV culture advice
Boy, that title should open me up to a comment or two....or...
Bill
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
backyard greenhouse advice welcome
Hello All, Does anyone have knowledge of backyard greenhouses?...
fortyseven_gw
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Sponsored Products
Missoni Home | Oldsmar Round Rug
YLiving.com
Aegis Dining Armchair in Black
$159.00 | LexMod
AICO Furniture - After Eight California King Upholstered Bed in...
Great Furniture Deal
Christopher Knight Home Oracle Gryphon Multi Area Rug (7'10 x 10'10)
Overstock.com
Kids Microfiber Deep Fuchsia 84-Inch Tall Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Hi-Bay Flushmount by Maxim Lighting
$142.20 | Lumens
Swim Time Standard Skimmer & Return - NA323
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Robert Abbey Harvey Brown Tea Ceramic Accent Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™