Thrips

wendycooOctober 21, 2013

Yesterday I found 1 plant with thrips damage in a tray full of seemingly unaffected plants. I know better than to think there aren't some hiding in the tray. The offender which had thrips has gone to a better place ( I had extras of that variety) but I now need to deal with the rest of my plants. I have disbudded plants that were on that tray and domed it ( minis and young plants). I looked carefully at the rest of the plants on the tray but saw no evidence of thrips or thrips damage. Now of course there is a tray next to that one and it is on a stand with 11 other trays and there is another stand with 12 trays only 6 feet away. I thought I had been so careful. Last winter I had no blooms and only a few plants due to mites and mealy bugs. They got the full toxic treatment and I am reluctant to do a full scale toxic treatment again. So what are the opinions? Do I need to disbud everything and treat or spot treat near the shelf where I found the infected plant? I have some of the sticky traps that will be placed around on the stands so I can see what might be happening but do I take a risk not treating full scale.
Thanks for any insight.
Wendy/SK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

There is never such thing as one thrips. You can as well disbud everything and start spraying. It doesn't make sense to me to throw away a plant just because of the thrips. They probably left their eggs on each plant in your collection. They fly really well - and probably were attracted to the warm air in your open window.

Yep - you can use lice shampoo - you need to do several sprayings week apart - on everything- to nail all the new hatchlings. If they do not have buds to feed - they will feed on the very young leaves.

I,

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 6:40PM
Linda

When I bought some Avid for thrips from Cape Cod Violetry, I asked John if I should remove blooms and buds. He said it wasn't necessary which surprised me as you always hear dis-budding is necessary. He said the Avid would do its job so removing flowers wasn't imperative.

Linda

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:09AM
wendycoo

And the Avid won't damage the flowers?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:30AM
Linda

He said it wouldn't. He said there was absolutely no reason to dis-bud. I was happy to hear this as no one wants to nip their flowers off-that's why we grow AV's. I've yet to try it because I am in the middle of re-potting but I will when I am finished this week.

Linda

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:39AM
wendycoo

I was in the process of repotting when I found the plant with Thrips. I guess life with violets means life with bugs especially since I have a large outdoor garden. I will have to spray once we get back from visiting my daughter and her family. Meanwhile I will spray a bit of Neem oil and set up some sticky traps.
Thanks for sharing Linda.
Wendy

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
AV cousins.... streps
so i was curious how many of you also grow streps?...
shihtzu4su
another wicking system
i am pretty pleased that this works! 3.5 oz condiment...
shihtzu4su
Is my African Violet in Shock?
Last night my little sister accidentally knocked my...
Lauren7
Looking for miniature AV culture advice
Boy, that title should open me up to a comment or two....or...
Bill
MA's Ching Dynasty
I was so happy to see this bloom finally open!!! :-)...
shihtzu4su
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™