Plants and Plecos

Cactopus(Z7 TX)February 23, 2005

I'm working on an Amazonian tank setup. I have a 30 gallon that's been up and running for 6 months now. This was my first dabble with live plants, and I love them. Right now I have 5 neons in the tank. I've had cory cats before and I'm pretty confidant they won't tear up my plants, but I like the plecosthamus as well as the bristlenose catfish. Do either of these like to eat/dig up/tear up plants? Would corys be a better option for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skygee(z7NY)

I would stick to corys... plecos can get huge and when they get that size need more room to move (otherwise just swimming will tear up the plants)

I love corys! Get at least 3 of the same kind since they do tend to like to stick with their own kind. Watching them school and play is really fun. There are so many different types of corys out there. Some are quite striking in color and pattern.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 3:02PM
raul_in_mexico

It depends on the species of plecos, bristlenose plecos are going to love your plants, literally, I assume that Skygee is refering to common plecos when he/she means they grow large because there are many species of plecos like Golden Nugget, Mango, Zebra that don´t grow more than 3 inches, others like common, Blue eyed, Royal, Marble can grow very large. For plant safe plecos stay with those tiny exotics I mentioned, the only drawback is that they cost an arm and a leg.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 3:17PM
skygee(z7NY)

Corys are more sociable, don't you think?? Yes I'm thinking of the more common plecos... not those that can cost 25 bucks a pop!

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 3:36PM
Cactopus(Z7 TX)

I just think the corys are cute-I used to have a lot of them when younger, just not with live plants.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 7:27PM
imaginators(z6 KY)

I agree about the Cories. They are so much fun to watch. I have 2 Jublii and 1 Green with several Angel fish. It took me a while to find the right fish but I think I have found the right combination.
I use to have 1 Placo that got over a foot long. They are really nice fish. I do not know what type he was. He was very dark brown with spots. He was sometimes hard to find in my pond.
Theresa

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 9:35PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

You could always go with something like a pepermint Pleco, thystay small, as far as function within the system Plecos and Corries have very little in common, plecos eat algea and wood and vegitative matter where as corries need a high level of protien in there diet.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 12:01AM
pequafrog(z7a/Long Island)

Yeah, some of those more uncommon plecos are insane! I saw one last week that was $34.99! Yow!

-PF

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 8:16AM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

I agree with getting a small school of Corys. They're so much fun to watch, you don't have to worry about your plants, & they won't bother your other fish.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
guppies....why cant i keep them?
greetings: I have had several fish tanks since i was...
missa
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™