rummynose tetras with betta?

sakmeht(Zone 6)February 27, 2008

Hi,

Has anyone had luck keeping rummynose with bettas? My pH is about 7.8 to 8.0 and I know that's a little high for rummynose tetras... anyone kept them successfully with a pH this high? I have a 10 gallon with some live plants and right now there are guppies in there, mainly for my daughter. I used to have 9 tanks, mostly species tanks, until I had my first child then I had to seriously downsize! I've always loved bettas, but the guppies will tear them up, so I'm looking to eventually get rid of the guppies and go with a friendly tetra and a betta. Just looking for thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Getting rid of Guppies?! Gulp! Sorry... I love my Guppies! Anyhoo, Rummynose (tetra or rasbora) come from a soft and acid environment, but can be acclimated somewhat. When I worked at a wholsealer we started them off with soft and acid and got them acclimated to ~7.4pH, which was what the tap water was. They are a touchy fish. Not the best choice for Bettas, but if you can get conditions gradually, with hiding places, it's possible. I'd keep the Guppies and add a few more plants!

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 1:55PM
james_ny(z7 NY)

Glad you posted this thread. I bought 3 rummy nose tetras and had them in the bag floating in the tank. It's been about an hour and I totally forgot them till I read this. I think there pretty adaptable and should do ok if water parameters are good.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 7:51PM
sakmeht(Zone 6)

Well, I might give it a try... I'm always looking for a challenge, which is why I'd like to get rid of the guppies... by which I mean, donate them to a friends tank who has quite a bit of experience! lol
Last time I added some live plants I had a guppy explosion! At the time, I had turtles and used them as food (they weren't fancytails, they were a feeder guppy but after several generations of breeding they were actually quite pretty. Anyway, no more turtles, so that won't be an issue! A 10 gallon limits me... I could pull out my 25gallon tall or my 30 gallon, but my husband won't let me get the 55, 50, or 80 going. I can't blame him... we've got a baby on the way and they take some maintenance. Well, thanks for everyones thoughts........

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 9:30PM
fgilles02420(z6 MA)

I can't answer the question about rummynose tetras....

But if you are looking for tetras to keep with a betta - my pH settles to about 7.5 (comes out of the tap at 8+) and I've successfully kept lemon tetras and glolite tetras with bettas for years.

What is the water hardness? Here, our hardness is very low (New England water is naturally soft and acidic) but the water company adds sodium carbonate to raise the pH, which is why it's 7.5. I think the hardness may be more important than just pH.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 5:58PM
sakmeht(Zone 6)

fgilles - thanks for the info... I actually have two lemon tetras in there right now with my guppies and although I was pretty sure it was my guppies that were nipping the last betta we kept, I couldn't rule out the lemon tetras. I have also kept glowlight tetras in the past and may look at that again as an option. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™