Problem with goldfish water temperature

bandit3201March 20, 2013

I recently set up a goldfish aquarium and I am having a problem with the water temperature. The light that came with my aquarium is heating the water in my tank. The thermometer says 80 degrees when the light is on all day. I am terrified that when summer weather comes that it will cook the poor things. Although, we do have air conditioning. Do I just go and buy a different bulb for the hood of the tank or do I need to keep the light off part of the time? Do they need the light at night?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Goldfish will survive at room temperatures and to near freezing outside in ponds, Some fancy goldfish may turn colors at different temperatures. In any event, remove the heater until you see a need for one.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:01PM
cherokee_joeshoeboot

If you are using an incandescent bulb in your light fixture you need to either replace it with a Fluorescent fixture or use the lowest wattage bulb you can find. I think 15 watts is what I used. Another thing that can help with incandescent bulbs is to raise them up above the tank a couple of inches so there is air movement between the bulb and the water surface. Also placing a pane of glass between the bulb and the water, especially if there is separation between the glass and bulb. If you have a heater in the tank remove it completely. Goldfish do not need their water heated. They are really a cold water fish. They will even survive outside in a pond in freezing weather as long as there is a whole in the ice for oxygen exchange. More important for goldfish in a tank is water changes. Do them frequently, about 10% of the water each time.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:55PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Sounds good !! Since you won't be growing many plants with GF You can leave the lights off most of the time . gary

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:04AM
Mommabear9285

You could also set the light up with a timer. I use just a vacation timer you can get at walmart, nothing fancy. That way it's only on for a specific amount of time.. that might help

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:49PM
aussielover_oh

I would definitely change to florescent or even LED lights, Incandescent will heat the water up way more than Goldfish like, and the warmer the water the more waste the fish make.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 7:38PM
aussielover_oh

I would definitely change to florescent or even LED lights, Incandescent will heat the water up way more than Goldfish like, and the warmer the water the more waste the fish make.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Aquarium lights - lifespan?
I have a 20 gallon bowfront aquarium about 8 years...
ron_mummert
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Male and Female Betta Together?
I am a college student and I love fish. Since I had...
newbettaowner
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™