Fish for cold water?

greenlarry(UK 8/9)March 26, 2009

I've got two fish at the mo,a Goldfish and a Cambridge Blue but i am curious as to what you can get for a cold water Tank. All I seem to find is the various fancy Goldfish which don't interest me,White Mountain Minnow and Weather Loach. Any more?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdwidow

What water temps are you defining as "cold"?

I'm asking because many of the so-called "warm" water fishes can tolerate and even thrive in water temps far lower than generally presumed.

Oh, yes: for the sake of a Yank too old to change now; a reply in F as opposed to C would help.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 8:58AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Haven't a clue as to the temps,just room temperature,the kind of temps you keep Goldfish in. Or shall we say unheated?

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 9:34AM
birdwidow

Unheated tank; but may we presume that in winter, your home is heated and that like most fully clothed humans, you are most comfortable in a range of 68 - 72, with 70 being optimum?

If so, then you could keep most livebearers and common danios or barbs in unheated tanks.

Just a suggestion, but one of the finest aquarium fish publications in the world; Practical Fishkeeping, is published in the UK and the vast majority of people who contribute articles to it are also there. If you subscribe online, you can communicate with experienced aquarists from every corner of your Blessed Isle and may even connect with one who lives near you and can relate to your climate.

But if you want to give a "tropical" tank a try, I'd say start with a small school of a single species of danio and see how well they do. If they sell them there, look for some of the gold phase, long finned zebra danios; very pretty fish that are also innexpensive and- particularly hardy.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:12AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Hey thanks birdwidow! I just signed up for it myself. I enjoy informative websites with forums too.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
beautifully clear image
my school to get our telescope etc working. The camera...
salinallina
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Sponsored Products
Tommy Bahama Island Estate Veranda Swivel Counter Stool, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Water Creation American 20th Century Classic Widespread Lavatory Faucet With Pop
Overstock.com
Jax Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion
Grandin Road
Arrival Outdoor Patio Chaise in Espresso Peridot
$1,069.00 | LexMod
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus G9943 Modern Single Hole Deck Mount Elevated Kitchen Fa
$520.00 | Blue Bath
glassic Water Lily Tiffany Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Cloud 9 Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Faucet Valve 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Walla Decorative Indoor Wall Fountain with LED Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™