?about algae eater, what kind is he?

Tnflower_lover(z 7 TN)March 12, 2006

or she. The ones you by at the pet shop. I keep thinking Bagot?????? (sorry for lack of knowledge) The one that grows pretty big according to the tank. Colored like a leopard, and seem to darken with age. I have on that is pretty young, and is growing fine.

Heres the question: I want to take my(not my tank) down give the fish to someone that will care for them but i would like to keep my big guy. I have a temp. setup for the winter for my Koi indoors. Can I put him/her in with the Koi? Can it go outside? I am planning on another tank for inside, but it will have to wait till after $2,000 mouth work. In the tank now is 2 tiger barbs and common guppies 6-8. This small tank and fish belong to my roomie and he will not feed them, take care of them. I just want them taken care of, and with 2 dogs, Koi's, beta and working 60 hrs. a week i can not keep up. Please help

TIA

Cara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairy_toadmother

plecostomus?

some people on the pond forum have kept plecos in with their koi. they do need to come in when it gets cold, as far as i know.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 9:19PM
woeisme(z7b NC)

I was thinking Pleco also. Not really meant for cold water, however it may slow down metabolism and growth. A pond is good because common ones grow to 18". It is most likely a tropical variety, they are hardy but risk of disease is higher in water parameters other then reccomended. Check out the link for ID. Maybe that sight can guide you better. The guppies "may" get eaten (or just attacked) by the barbs. Barbs are semi-aggressive, guppies are peaceful "community fish". I did keep them together as a kid with no problems but keep an eye out for aggression if you don't deside to seperate (reccomended) them.

Here is a link that might be useful: planet catfish site

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 9:30PM
riconiferman(z6 RI)

If you didn't pay much for it, it is probably a common pleco. Hypostomus punctatus.

Here is a link that might be useful: common pleco info

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™