Do mother guppies eat their fry?

btsk18(7 ny)March 6, 2005

A couple weeks ago i bought a pregnant guppy. she had the babies the night i got her. i thought i saw her eating her fish. i want to make sure she wasn't because i have a pregnant female now, and i want to know if i have to seperate them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buster

My guppy has babbies every couple months or so. The Male and Female eat just about all of the fry in a few days. Occassionally one will survive and become an adult.

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 7:45PM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

Yes, they most certainly do eat their fry, as do Platies, Swordfish, Mollies, & the other common livebearers. However rather than separating them, which is stressful to the fish, your best bet is to include lots of plant material for the fry to hide in.

Guppies breed so frequently & produce such large amounts of fry, that unless you're in the purebred Guppy breeding business, having some of the fry provide some live food for the parents isn't really a bad thing. With enough plant material (planted & floating), you should still end up with enough babies to enjoy growing on into adults without overpopulating your tank too soon.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 10:20AM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I chose to just provide alot of artificial plants for my fry to hide in. The strange thing is, with my second 'litter', the adults didn't seem interested in eating the fry. This was discussed in a previous post below.

Once the guppies survive beyond two or three weeks, they are a bit bigger and are less likely to be eaten by the adult guppies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guppies why aren't they hiding

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 11:57AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I have always wondered: when guppies eat their fry, is it because they don't even know that they are offspring, or don't care, or what? I realize fish don't "reason" but I've always wondered the reason.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 1:11PM
skygee(z7NY)

They will eat their fry if there isn't anyplace for them to hide.

But I was reading somewhere (maybe in a previous thread??) that some guppy breeders like to breed in that trait of less aggressive behavior - so that parents will have less of a tendancy to eat their fry.

I have tons of fry (mollies and guppies) right now. The smallest fry swim easily around the adults - but there are lots of places to scoot and hide if need be.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 1:23PM
drygulch(z9 AZ)

Most fish will eat their own babies, given the chance. Cichlids will actually care for their fry if conditions are right, but even they will munch down their own progeny if they are inexperienced parents or stressed.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 6:32PM
guppynoob

I also have 5 pregnant guppies and I don't know when they'll give birth. I hope I can reach them in time when they give birth.

Any tips you guys can give me to look out for?

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:17AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Posted by guppynoob

I also have 5 pregnant guppies and I don't know when they'll give birth. I hope I can reach them in time when they give birth.

Any tips you guys can give me to look out for?

You have some set up to keep the new ''drops'' from being immediately eaten?

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 1:35PM
suzieque(z5 MA)

Why not just get a breeder box? A few dollars. You put the pregnant fish in it when you notice them starting to give birth (you get to know it after some experience), the babies slide down into the lower part of it, then you take the mother out and take the extra piece out and the babies live in the "maternity ward" until they're big enough to survive in the big tank.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
new betta fish
I got a betta fish yesterday and when I put the water...
boulou3
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Sponsored Products
Sunset Rug 8' x 10' - OCEAN
$779.00 | Horchow
IDEAL Security 2-Lamp Blackout and Power Failure White 6 LED Safety Light SK636
$42.74 | Home Depot
Casual Elegance Butterscotch Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Shag Rug
$469.00 | Bellacor
Zephyr 36W in. Sorrento Downdraft Range Hood - DD1-E36AS
$879.00 | Hayneedle
New Persian Medallion Red Super Kazak 5'x7' Hand Knotted Wool Oriental Rug H3958
BH Sun Inc
Red Clay Serving Bowl
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Angelfish with Blue Tangs Wall Sculpture - Medium (35"W)
$475.00 | FRONTGATE
Bramble - Rhinecastle 101" Dining Table - 23833
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™