Pleco still has mouth fungus!

lizmMarch 10, 2012

Hi- my plecostomus is alone in a 20-gallon tank. He got mouth fungus. As per the pet store's recommendation, I treated the tank with API "pro series" Fungus Cure (containing 3 mg Victoria Green B and 30 mg Acriflavine per packet). I followed the instructions, treating twice, 2 packets each time (1 packet per 10 gallons), 48 hours apart, then did the 25% water change as per instructions. It's 5 days post water change and the fish still has a white cottony blob hanging down from his mouth.

What do I do next?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nuclear_Glitter(7)

The first thing you should always do when any of your fish gets sick is make sure all your water conditions are in excellent shape. Do you have a liquid test kit? If so do an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test. Ammonia should always be at 0, nitrite 0, as well, and your nitrate below 20, but preferably below 10. If you do not have a water testing kit, you really need to buy one, and the liquid work best, the strips are inaccurate. If you don't have one though, begin by doing a 50% water change, to ensure all medicine is out of the tank, and the water conditions are good.

For further treatment you should get the medicines primafix and melafix. Treat until you see an improvement (this generally takes about a week). Do a 50% water change once a week until the fungus is gone, and be sure to invest in a liquid test kit. API master test kit is one of the most affordable and best working.

Best of luck, and let us know how things are going. =]

Also, please remember that all pet stores, fish or otherwise, are just there to make money. They often give very poor advice, and lead hobbyists down the wrong path when it comes to proper keeping.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
new betta fish
I got a betta fish yesterday and when I put the water...
boulou3
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™