Will Swedish Ivy Plant Kill Betta Fish?

luckydoolaMarch 9, 2006

I have a Swedish Ivy Plant growing in a 2liter water vase and want to put my beta in it. Will this plant harm him? Is it poisonous to betas or any fish? Please let me know. Thanks, Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Not a good idea. A vase is not a good home for a fish. Bettas are tropical fish and should have water temps 74F-82F. An vase of water in PA in the winter time can easily get to 65F in a heated home. These fish are marketed this way with the logic that the fish comes from stagnant waters, rice paddies and slow moving rivers so they are more than happy in a cup of water. The truth is even though the waters are somewhat shallow and murky they are complete eco-systems. A vase of water with a terrestrial plant in it isn't a good home for your fish. The colder water alone will make him lathargic and suseptible to disease and parasites. I know these fish are presented this way so its a little confusing, but a more ideal set up for your betta is a minimal 3 gallon aquarium,for a live plant a java fern is pretty and seems to do good almost anywhere. The live plant will help keep the water less toxic because it utilizes ammonia that the fish excretes. Its best to keep true aquatic plants with fish. Good luck. Maybe do a yahoo search on bettas in vases to see what others think or click the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betta's in Vases

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 9:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skygee(z7NY)

Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus australis) is non-toxic (at least to mammals)

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
guppies....why cant i keep them?
greetings: I have had several fish tanks since i was...
missa
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Is my Betta sick?
I've had my Betta fish for over 2 years now. Recently...
rrree
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™