Sick Fish :(

maxismybetaMarch 11, 2006

I have a sick beta. I have had his since last August. He randomly does this not eating thing but usually it only last like a week. I give him less food and then he will go back to normal amounts as the week progresses. I was cleaning his water and noticed that his fins (all of them) looked veiny and blood shot and kinda frayed. So I looked it up on the Internet and i think that it is Fin Rot. I bought some Maracyn-two but the packets are for ten-gallon tanks and i keep him in a one-gallon tank. Should i just use like a few sprinkles of the powder or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

You really don't need the Maracyn2. Improving the water conditions will help alot. Since its a small tank just add some salt. How often and how much water do you change? Do you use a water conditioner, if you have "city" water? What is the water temperature? Usually, finrot is from stress from not so ideal water parameters. Sometimes it is bacterial. Something doesn't sound right though. Sometimes fish won't eat when you first get them, but are normaly "pigs" afterward, especially bettas.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 9:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithgh

I would personaly use PrimaFix and Melafix I think you will find these easer to use and they are very reliable.

Fin Rot is a bacterial problem usually caused by bad house keeping.
Do you do a regular 30% water change and how often. Do you do any water treatments before you add the water to his tank.

Here is a link to my Betta Tank

[link=Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos]http://photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/Betta%20desktop%20tank/[/link]

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Sponsored Products
Electri-Chef 32 in. Electric Grill with Cart - Single Burner Multicolor - 4400-E
Hayneedle
Seafoam Goldfish
| Dot & Bo
Underwater LED Light - 9 Watt
Super Bright LEDs
Star Fish 8x14x10.5 Empire Shade (Spider)
$79.91 | Lamps Plus
Dolphin & Fish Pocket Bottle & Brush Set
$8.99 | zulily
Tiffany Style Table Lamp with Fish Scales & Green Jadestone Decors
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™